It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:28 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Sightings

Fake Snipers at Big 5

Sales and Great Deals on the web and local stores

Fake Snipers at Big 5

Postby DevilDog » Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 pm

While this has been addressed on other sites, I thought I would repost for our users. I recently ran across one of these and was amazed that Big 5 really does not care that they are selling repro'd M91/30 Snipers for...$620.00 :shock:
This unit was in the Big 5 in Burlington, WA, and was imported by PW Arms of Redmond, WA. It is a 1933 Tula Hex with a PE scope, which if it had the sniper cartouche marks on the barrel, would have been a nice find. But it had a Ukraine refurb stamp instead :roll:

" Production of the PE was very slow at first due to the complicated and time consuming nature of machining the mounts. Production in the first year of 1932 was only 749. In subsequent years, recorded numbers are as follows. 1,347 in 1933,.."

The serial number on this on was 54xx.

But the scope was an obvious new production Russian repro, the truly galling part was that someone electropencil'd the fake mount with the Serial Number to make it look authentic, even though it was the wrong mount for that production. Perhaps that was done at refurb..I guess I never thought of them turning a standard M91/30 into a sniper at refurb, but that's what it looks like. The bent bolt had matching S/N, but that could have also been done at refurb as a force match.

The price tag had no indication that it was a repro Scope, but the store manager indicated he thought it said so "Somewhere in the paperwork"

I wonder if they let you read that BEFORE you buy it?
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Re: Fake Snipers at Big 5

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Yeah I saw one of those the other day here in SoCal, I can't see paying 680.00 for a fake, you might as well save up another 180.00 for the real deal and have some collectors value.

These should go for no more than 399.00, it's sort of a moot point though, the real snipers were picked for accuracy and then fitted with the sniper hardware. These Big5 rifles are simply commons that have been fitted with a scope.
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby iridium-192 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Yeah, I've seen it & I don't buy it... :lol:
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 326 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby notabiker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:35 am

after looking at 2 snipers, i bought a big 5 sniper. i like a nice looking rifle. these others i would never be proud of. rust,beater wood. yes i paid to much for this very nice looking rifle. i paid to much for my M-44 and M91 . it is my money and i want to see what i am buying first.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby DevilDog » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:02 am

I am not railing against buying them, they are cool and fun.

It's just that faking snipers has become a way to take advantage of the Mosin interest, and Big5/CAI is exploiting it in the worst way, that's all. These things will wind up on GunBroker as originals by some guy who does not know the difference. Replica's are a scourge to any collectible market. Just watch an Episode of Pawn Stars.

As we have seen from other threads, even MOLOT is cashing in now.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby USSR » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:16 am

Gun board swears they are original but I'm not buying it. They are a faux sniper.
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Postby kermit » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:45 pm

USSR wrote:Gun board swears they are original but I'm not buying it. They are a faux sniper.

big5 are not real. they are infantry rifles that had had a scope setup. the aim and classic sniper are real,but have been heavily refurbished and are 40 bucks cheaper than big5. but if you only want a shooter then big5 will shoot.
kermit
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 70 times
Kudos  Received: 10 times

Postby notabiker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:58 pm

without a dealer lic i must buy retail. the good thing is i can hold what i want in my hands. if i like it i buy it. i have a feeling my big 5 sniper will be right their with my 1955 Romanian M-44 as my FAV shooters. if i only impress myself i will be happy, i saw some junk before i bought the sharp looking big 5. one at ammo bros was just crap ast 600 bucks. i think it was a early repo .no thanks.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Postby elfdowney » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Also saw one at the Big5 in Amarillo, TX last month... what bothered me was the Manager didn't care that he was selling a fake.
I'll see your Jihad and raise you one Crusade!
elfdowney
Gunner
Gunner

Postby kermit » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:08 pm

Southern Ohio Gun has them for less than $400. i paid $30 to get my C$R03FFL and it saved me lots of money. my $89 M91-30's from AIM were better than my $99 Big5 ones.
kermit
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 70 times
Kudos  Received: 10 times

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Sightings