It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:21 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Shooting Tech

Shooting Tech = Trigger Finger Placement

Shooting Tech, Stocks, Stands, BiPod etc

Shooting Tech = Trigger Finger Placement

Postby Shepard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:14 am

We have talked about a lot of different things. Trigger finger placement for optimal shooting performance is a matter not spoken of yet. We have military trained people -- self taught people -- and Minute Man [Appleseed Project] trained people and people taught by there pappy. The proper placement of your finger on the trigger can mean the difference between a hit and a miss.

The easiest way to explain is to use pictures -- so here goes.

The best picture is number 2 showing the tip of your finger 90 degrees to the trigger. It keeps the applied pressure in a straight line to the line of your firearm. It keeps the shooter from pulling to the side [mine was the right] and a miss. Appleseed trainers call it DRAGGING WOOD and its a no no if accuracy is what your looking for. Bench shooting for me -- using this trigger method has proved to be excellent.
Some people use trigger shoes. If it helps you to achieve a better feel -- go for it. I like to feel as little of the trigger as possible. Once you start your trigger pull -- don't stop till the gun fires. If you stop start your shot process all over again.

One of the things that I see in some custom builds is that the trigger is to far forward that there's no way to get proper finger placement unless you have extra long fingers.
One of the ways to tell if you need to improve your trigger finger pull is --- do you seem to have near misses to the side you shoot with. If your right handed --- most of my near misses are low and to the right. It comes from dragging wood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Shooting Tech = Trigger Finger Placement

Postby AssassinBean » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks Shep! This is a great chunk of info!

I'm a self taught shooter and I've always used the "old style" (without knowing it). When got my AKUMU project to where it is now I noticed that the trigger is just a little bit farther forward than I'm used to. My finger wants to have the trigger right in the middle of my pad now and I have way more control over it.
AssassinBean
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 54 times
Kudos  Received: 29 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) StraightJacket Owners (1) Nice Build Award (1)
Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Shepard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 pm

I found an article that explains trigger finger position much better then I.
Also a few pictures the could help you improve your trigger finger.

http://artoftherifleblog.com/trigger-co ... ntrol.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shepard

Postby 0933 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:37 pm

I was just about to post that article Jerry, you beat me too it. :thumbup:

I will say this... dry fire will improve your trigger control more than grip/finger placement alone. Once you attain the muscle memory to move the trigger straight to the rear and not disturb the sights, then you'll be much better at calling your shots.

I disagree with your expectation of the grip/trigger relationship though.

ALL the leading stock manufacturers leave space between the rear of the trigger guard, and the grip.

Here is a McMillan A5...

And a Manners T4...

You can see that there is quite a 'gap' between the grip and trigger.

The only thing your firing hand should be doing is 1.) moving the trigger straight to the rear utilizing your trigger finger, and 2.) using your three support fingers to exert a little force straight through the buttstock holding the weapon into your shoulder.

Most 'tactical precision' shooters will place the thumb of there firing hand along there trigger finger, and use this as a 'shim' to gain the perfect amount of distance between the stoc, and there trigger finger. Also, by not 'gripping' the pistol grip, the hand is free to move forward, or backward. You can fine tune your firing hand placement in this manner so that your trigger finger knuckle is in the perfect position for correct trigger/finger engagement angle.

One huge advantag of not gripping the pistol grip with the whole hand, is that you won't influence the rifle with the thumb, or fingertips of the support hand. The only force will be a rearward pressure exerted by the 'hook' of your other three fingers.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Shepard » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:18 am

Let I said there are many teachers and also whatever works for you do it. I was improved by a Minute Man teacher [Appleseed Project] and am pasting what works for me to you guys. As for the rifles that you pictured -- they wouldn't work for me. I have pudgy short Bass player fingers. I'd be dragging wood to work the trigger on most of those and that the biggest reason for near misses.
Shepard

Postby 0933 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:55 am

Jerry, I read through your OP again. While you did make mention of shooters with different back grounds and training. I did not find anywhere that you said 'do what works for you.'

You DID make mention of the fact that some custom builds have the trigger too far forward, and that prohibits the proper placement of the trigger finger. Let me assure you that this is NOT the case.

Not only am I a military trained shooter... but I taught the Marine Corps Instructors at the school house in Quantico. There were many different size, and shaped Marines. I've had to deal with both extremes. None of them had any problem attaining proper trigger finger placement with the right instruction. Even an Inteligence Officer who weighed 110 lbs, and had typical petite female hands.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Postby Shepard » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 am

0933 wrote:Jerry, I read through your OP again. While you did make mention of shooters with different back grounds and training. I did not find anywhere that you said 'do what works for you.'

You DID make mention of the fact that some custom builds have the trigger too far forward, and that prohibits the proper placement of the trigger finger. Let me assure you that this is NOT the case.

Not only am I a military trained shooter... but I taught the Marine Corps Instructors at the school house in Quantico. There were many different size, and shaped Marines. I've had to deal with both extremes. None of them had any problem attaining proper trigger finger placement with the right instruction. Even an Inteligence Officer who weighed 110 lbs, and had typical petite female hands.

T - out of all the people you have taught to shoot -- there is no one that just seemed to score lower then others? Could they possibly have scored high with a different style weapon. What style stock do you call the Manners or McMillian? They don't seem to fit what is called a pistol grip. They don't fit the traditional stock look.
Shepard

Postby 0933 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:31 pm

In the military, you're pretty much stuck with the weapon you're issued. You can't modify a rifle that heavily... definitely can't build up the pistol grip, or the stock enough to make a difference.

Everybody has different size/style hands, so we've learned techniques to adapt to what we have.

Postby Grindl » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:15 pm

A very interesting topic that has always gotten a lot of discussion and debate .
I was trained first ; by a NRA Target Pistol Champion , my father , and his thoughts on the subject were not for debate. At least not by me at the time . Dad had me using only the area of my trigger finger from the top of the finger-print whorl , to the tip of the finger . He took a ink pen and drew a line across my finger at the top of the whorl , and every time he caught me with to much finger "in" the trigger , my shooting was done for the day , and I got to sit and de-burr .45 cases while my brothers were shooting .Didn't take long to "get the habit" , if you know what I mean .

I have a Timney ; set at two pounds , and use a "shoe" for positive "touch" pressure . I also spend time working on a "soft" trigger hand with little pressure on the stock . I've tried both having my thumb on the right side of the stock , and over the top and found little difference , other than to notice I tend to go over the top when conditions are more adverse . Windy , raining , etc..

Like others ; I have a standard size palm , but very short fingers , and I used to shoot my M-14 with thumb on the right side of the stock so I could reach the trigger , and get a good "set" on it . The XM-21 ( M-14 Sniper variant ) was great IMHO because of the thumb-hole stock , and it fit my hand . Happy Days ... :D The only comment I have about this is : "The less finger "in" the trigger , the better". Don't know if it's right or wrong by someone else's methods , but that's what works for me . And long , long ago , in a far-away land ...They called me a "Sniper", too .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 190 times
Kudos  Received: 119 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Shooting Tech