It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:27 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Shooting Tech

ATI stock void?

Shooting Tech, Stocks, Stands, BiPod etc

ATI stock void?

Postby 188mule » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Called ATI about the void in the sporter stock when the recoil pad is removed. I think they need to make a replacement hinged buttplate or one that could be removed easily. My thouhgt is that there is way to much wastedspace back there. I could put put all kinds of crap back there if I could get at it easily. Compass, fire starters, bandages, ammo, survival blanket, dried food packets. The list can go on & on. What are your thoughts? maybe if enough people contact them they might design one.
Random avatar
188mule
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 1
Custom Builders Guild (1)

Re: ATI stock void?

Postby Grimstod » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:25 am

Ati has changed that stok already. The early ones were very week and flexible. I have a newer on and it's very stiff.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 286 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby 188mule » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:49 am

Were they haveing problems with the stocks breaking? Or were the Just flimsy. SOunds like I'll have to manufacture my own.
Random avatar
188mule
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Grimstod » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:44 am

They were just flimsy. Never heard of one braking. They are really quite tuff. Modifying one shouldn't be to hard. Have you looked at Itaqivetran8888 video on improving the ATI stock?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 286 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Surplus » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:28 am

My problem was that the forehands were curved and they touched the barrel (at least in the two i bought).
It was impossible to straighten them.

Surplus
Random avatar
Surplus
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 25 times
Medals: 2
Custom Builders Guild (2)

Postby 188mule » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:50 am

The forend on mine is bent and touches the barrel haven't tried to fix it. It must be an older version, I picked it up used. I'll check out the video.
Random avatar
188mule
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Shepard » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:20 am

No one here wants to be offensive but maybe you should consider a better stock system. My very first attempt at a Mosin build had an ATI stock. I think all of us have had or still has an ATI plastic stock hid away some place. I do and its a reminder of money poorly spent. Mine can't be free floated without removing a lot of material, it has the warped front fore stock also. There are some great gun stock manufacturers here on the forum. Big Gorilla Gun Stocks -- Blue Grass Gun Stocks - Boyds - Rhineland Arms are just a few. ATI's stock makes a good Truck gun because it will handle the abuse and still shoot great. It has a lot to be desired for a long range shooting system. Some of you younger gentlemen have the strength to hold a light weight rifle down when fired. Us old crippled shooters depend on weight and a bench to shoot well. There was a time when ATIs stock was the only available after market stock, now there's many. I like the Camo paint job, but I really like the modified scope mount. For me thats what its all about -- making our own parts with whats at hand. How's it attached to the barrel? Keep on building, it will become an obsession were I can't stop. I get one done and shoot it for a while -- Then I start on another one.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby 188mule » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:09 pm

For what this rifle was intended for I think the ATI will do the job. I did however pillar and glass bed it. I just did it cause I had the pillars laying around and thought what the hell. My plan was to use this rifle as a truck/ranch rifle beatin around for porcupines and beavers mainly. I may take it up to manitoba for hunting in the bush. The scope mount was originally a EGW rem 700 la 20moa base that I cut down and turned backwards. I did quite abit of custom fitting and then steel bedded it after it was drilled and tapped. I tapped one screw in the receiver and two inn the rear sight dovetail. Seems to work pretty good.
Random avatar
188mule
Marksman
Marksman

Postby b0neZ » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:39 pm

188mule wrote:For what this rifle was intended for I think the ATI will do the job. I did however pillar and glass bed it. I just did it cause I had the pillars laying around and thought what the hell. My plan was to use this rifle as a truck/ranch rifle beatin around for porcupines and beavers mainly. I may take it up to manitoba for hunting in the bush. The scope mount was originally a EGW rem 700 la 20moa base that I cut down and turned backwards. I did quite abit of custom fitting and then steel bedded it after it was drilled and tapped. I tapped one screw in the receiver and two inn the rear sight dovetail. Seems to work pretty good.

Pics of the mount, please! What you describe sounds interesting, just having a problem picturing it.
Random avatar
b0neZ
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 13 times

Return to Shooting Tech