It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:05 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Shooting Tech

DIY annealing machine

Shooting Tech, Stocks, Stands, BiPod etc

Re: DIY annealing machine

Postby Shepard » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:25 am

ShootnMathews wrote:This evening i made a torch holder that is adjustable on two axis. I can move it closer to or away from the brass and I can move it in or out for different length brass. I ran some 7-08, a few 7.62-54, and one 6.5-284. I don't have any tempalac (or however it's spelled) to check the temp but I believe it is pretty close. About two seconds before the case drops you can see the color change of the brass and you can tell by the look of it before it falls that if it were to stay in the flame for another second or two more it would begin to glow. At the time the case drops there is no red, orange, or pink color to it, but you can tell that it is right near the verge when it drops from the flame.

Now I just need to make something to feed the shells from the hopper.

Annealing gun brass has to reach a temp 750-775F to be of any real benefit. Anything over 800F and the brass is junk and anything under is a waste of your time and efforts.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/988733 ... egree-2-oz

I like the way you have set your machine up. I think it will work very well. I like the idea of the cartridge sitting in one place -- one torch. I have to use 2 as the case moves.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: DIY annealing machine

Postby ShootnMathews » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:39 am

Shepard wrote:
ShootnMathews wrote:This evening i made a torch holder that is adjustable on two axis. I can move it closer to or away from the brass and I can move it in or out for different length brass. I ran some 7-08, a few 7.62-54, and one 6.5-284. I don't have any tempalac (or however it's spelled) to check the temp but I believe it is pretty close. About two seconds before the case drops you can see the color change of the brass and you can tell by the look of it before it falls that if it were to stay in the flame for another second or two more it would begin to glow. At the time the case drops there is no red, orange, or pink color to it, but you can tell that it is right near the verge when it drops from the flame.

Now I just need to make something to feed the shells from the hopper.

Annealing gun brass has to reach a temp 750-775F to be of any real benefit. Anything over 800F and the brass is junk and anything under is a waste of your time and efforts.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/988733 ... egree-2-oz

I like the way you have set your machine up. I think it will work very well. I like the idea of the cartridge sitting in one place -- one torch. I have to use 2 as the case moves.

Thanks Jerry. Of the two designs this one seemed the easiest for me to make. It feeds very well. I do need to get some indicator to get the temp right. I'll have to order some. Thanks for the link. I wasn't sure where to get it.

Here is a pic with the torch in place.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Previous

Return to Shooting Tech