It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:02 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Cooking and Recipes

Appalachian Jerky

Great Recipes using wild game or regular ingredients

Appalachian Jerky

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:37 pm

This is by far my wife and my favorite jerky recipe. It is a little messy to fix and a lot of work ( mostly cleanup), but everyone seems to love it. It is always gone usually within hours of fixing because the lovely smell it puts off fills the house and neighborhood and everyone is waiting to snatch every dry piece.

Appalachian Jerky

1/2 cup A1 steak sauce
1/2 cup La Choy Teriyaki soy sauce ( comes in a bottle identical to the original soy sauce. This sauce is getting extremely hard to find here now. I hope they haven't discontinued it.)
1/2 cup of Worchester sauce
2 teaspoons of Seasoned salt
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of onion powder
1 teaspoon of ground red pepper (More can be added for more heat)
1 tablespoon of liquid smoke

Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl. I don't really have a set amount of meat to use. I use the less desirable packs of deer meat, shoulder steak, and stuff like that. I thaw several packs and get as much into the liquid as I can. I'm guessing around 4 pounds of meat. Let marinate in the fridge over night. 24 hours is preferable. Stirring whenever you get a chance. Place in a dehydrator and dry until dry. The oven also works on the lowest temperature setting. A smoker also works but remove the liquid smoke from the recipe. This is a messy recipe because the jerky drips as it dries. If you use your oven make sure to put some foil or pans on the bottom rack to catch the dripping or face the wife's wrath. I have made this with ground meat also and a jerky shooter. The liquid squeezes out while "shooting" it but it isn't too bad.

*just a little FYI note here. After you place your meat in the dryer there will be plenty of liquid in the bowl left and it smells so good that you think you could just throw more meat in for a second batch, but that isn't true. Most of the flavor is soaked up by the meat and if you make a second batch from the leftover liquid it is very very weak. Trust me. I've tried it twice over the years, was not happy either time.

Enjoy.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Appalachian Jerky

Postby Fung_13 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:42 pm

Jared,
Thanks for sharing!!! This is a really good recipe!! I tried it on deer, steak, moose and caribou. The best combo IMO is with the caribou, but all were really good. Definitely added to my memory bank of recipes....

Jeremy
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 34 times
Kudos  Received: 26 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Re: Appalachian Jerky

Postby ShootnMathews » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Excellent. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :thumbup:
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Cooking and Recipes