It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Rifle Discussion

Interesting problem with a Winchester 190

Discuss all things non Mosin rifle related here

Interesting problem with a Winchester 190

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:26 pm

A friend of mine showed me a rifle he purchased when he was 18 here in CA in the 1960's. It's a Winchester 190 that has seen very little use. But I noticed that the fore end was loose so I started doing a little research. It appears that the fore end problem is caused from the barrel coming loose, this is due to the castle nut has backing off slightly. The fore end is held on by barrel tension only. I'm wondering after I get the barrel re tightened if I can use a little nylock or some other type of thread lock to keep it from happening again. I cannot seem to find what the proper torque is for the castle nut however.

I've got a couple spots on the bluing to fix for him as well. Any input from you guys is welcome
Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Interesting problem with a Winchester 190

Postby Grindl » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:29 am

Most thread-locking compounds tend to be heat sensitive , so I might be a bit wary of using them in that application . There are some aviation grade thread-locking liquids that might fit the bill .

Some machinists handbooks have torque value tables of bolts and nuts to respective thread / diameters . But I haven't seen one of those books in years . Apparently it's no longer "useful" information . Till you need it .

Way back when ; Savage and Winchester were doing a lot of in-house collaboration on rifles , and you may be able to get something from them on it . Just thinking out loud ....
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Rifle Discussion