It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:25 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Rifle Discussion

What is better?

Discuss all things non Mosin rifle related here

What is better?

Postby iridium-192 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:22 am

Well, I'm still indecisive & can't find an answer to very important question for ANY CALIFORNIAN... This question is, "what should I buy?"...
1. AR 15
2. AR 10

I love both cartridges, love both rifles, don't have a budget for both...
What is better?

Here is a video, I'm watching right now, hoping it will help me to decide...

What is your opinion? I would greatly appreciate any input & help!
Thank you! :thumbup:
Watch on youtube.com
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 325 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: What is better?

Postby Grindl » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:59 am

Both have advantages and disadvantages . My personal opinion would be to get the AR-10 , in .308 caliber . You could then purchase a .556 Upper at a later date , and then have both capabilities .
There are those who are enamored with the .556 , but I'm not one of them . There are those who are enamored with the AR platform . I'm not one of those people , either . Trying hard to be objective in answering this , cause frankly , I think the AR platform is the biggest POS ever devised by man-kind . Sucker's had more "EC's" done on it than the space shuttle , and still leads the world in jams , mis-fires and malfunctions . If you are getting a piston driven gun , similar to a AK / SKS , then good on ya . :thumbup: Don't recommend a gas impingement system , though . Like a high maintenance woman ... :thumbdown:
The AR-10"s seem to have less headaches ; even in the gas impingement system guns , due to the larger caliber cartridge recycling the system .

Carried a M-16 for four and a half months in Nam , and when the third one jammed in the same fire-fight , I was lucky enough to have a SKS within reach ....I still have the SKS . I'd use a AR platform gun , if forced to . Until I could replace it with something I'd trust my life on .
That's my opinion . Hope it doesn't ruffle to many feathers in the "God Gun" crowd .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 191 times
Kudos  Received: 122 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby bearrowland » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:03 am

I agree with Grindl on the AR-10 platform. It opens up the possibilities that are almost endless. I wonder if, with a modded boltface and the right mag, a 7.62x54r might be possible? A domestic Dragunov!! :D :D
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:53 pm

To convert a AR-10 for 7.62x54r , you would have to do a bit of a reamer job on the chamber , as the54r round is longer , and has a greater amount of taper in the cartridge . But I'm not sure about 'modding" the bolt , as the .308 cartridge is "face-held" by the bolt-face ,and locked up by the bolt lugs . And the 54r is pressed up against the breech by the case rim . Guess it could be worked out . The other question would be : Is the bolt diameter large enough to facilitate the diameter of the case rim on the 54r case , and not loose part of the locking lugs in the bolt .
In looking at the problem , the chamber mod is do-able , but I think you might have to machine a whole new bolt to accommodate the 54r case .

Somebody makes a AR in .300 BLK , Iridium . I think it's Sig-Sauer . That would be splitting the difference between the .556 & .308 models . Something else to think about . :crazy:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:52 pm

I'm not sure the receiver is strong enough to handle the 54R pressure, you might need to seriously mod the buffer tube area, and I'm not entirely sure the castle nut receiver connection would be robust enough for the pressure generated by a 54R cartridge.

BUT that being said doesn't mean someone couldn't come up with a material that is strong enough. Hmmmm an AR steel receiver sounds interesting.

But back to the question at hand how about a 24 inch AR10 target rifle?

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 364 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby iridium-192 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:56 am

I like the idea of AR receiver made of steel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 325 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:25 pm

DUH ! Never even entered my mind about the receiver being alloy instead of steel . There are some guys building AR-10 / 24" & 26" guns for L/R & tactical shooting competition already .
I've seen a couple of them at the 1,000 range at Ben Avery . They're still working out the bugs for their loads , and not very forth-coming talking about the guns at this point . :shh: Ancient Chinese secrets ; I guess .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:25 pm

I think a steel receiver is totally doable. Just need someone with a laser scanner and the CNC mill and away you go. Magazine might be a bit of an issue since the rim on the 54r causes the round to pitch more. It might end up looking more like an AK magazine.

BUT an AR-PSL sounds like so much fun to design and build.
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Got a "good" magazine candidate for ya , Mark . The 7.62x54r magazine from the Vepr Sports / Comp rifle . 10 & 20 round mags available , too .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:34 am

Well back to Dmitry's original question, I think it would have to be the .308 based AR10 simply due to the fact there are so many variety's of .308 on the market and it's greater knock down power. But the lowly .223 is not without it benefits. Especially when you consider a multi cal receiver that can fire a 5.56 out of the same barrel.

.308 more knock down and larger variety of projectiles
.223 plentiful and cheap
.556 Higher velocity
Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Return to Rifle Discussion