It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:48 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Rifle Discussion

SKS Owners?

Discuss all things non Mosin rifle related here

SKS Owners?

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:56 pm

Any SKS Owners here? I have a 1st year Chinese version that is made with all Russian parts. Anyone else have one?

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 359 times
Kudos  Received: 341 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: SKS Owners?

Postby jaysny87 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:03 pm

I'm a fan, I have just one. A Chinese type 56 "norinco". It's a favorite of mine. In the past I spent a lot of time on a popular sks forum. In fact that's how I found out about socamo! The sks is a great rifle. I always wish I had a SKS-D or SKS-M so I could share mags with my AK.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:52 pm

Yeah I know what you mean. With the new CA regs the SKS is immune because of it's fixed mag. So the value for my SKS value just went up!!
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:43 am

If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 190 times
Kudos  Received: 115 times
Medals: 1
NRA Member (1)

Postby Grindl » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Though it is now highly Modified ; this SKS came home with me from a extended "vacation" in S.E.Asia , after I carried it as my "primary" for 19 months In-country . It is a 1949 Chi-com , and very accurate out to about 200 yards . I have all the original parts & pieces , along with extra barrel and receiver block , plus other parts , so it could be returned to original configuration at any point .

I did the Mods so I could "save" the original stuff from damage.
The rifle is equipped w/a 4x30 scope , with a AK side mount. A 600 lumen Streamlight Tac flashlight , and Aim-point Laser . A very functional , CQB weapon , with .30 cal Hit Power .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:29 pm

That's a sweet rig, The new stock makes it look longer than the original. Do you have any issues with the scope setting so close to your face? Nicely done. I have a couple extra stocks since my original one looks quite battle worn. I've never changed it though.

seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:47 pm

Scope clearance isn't a issue for me on this one , Mark. Optical delusion , I think , caused by the angle of the picture . Distance is 3-3/4". I had it one more slot forward on the rail , and kept having to shove my face forward to get a full scope picture .

Also have a left-handed charging bolt , currently being welded up , for my Son , who lost his right arm in a on-the-job accident . He's a Fire-fighter / E.M.T. and still on the Job . :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Postby Grindl » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:55 pm

Forgot to mention it ; but there is a Williams adjustable peep sight under the scope mount , so I do have iron-sight capability , should something go wrong with the scope . Just have to pull the cheek-riser off to be on it . I do believe in having options for a "Tac" weapon .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 am

Grindl wrote:Scope clearance isn't a issue for me on this one , Mark. Optical delusion , I think , caused by the angle of the picture . Distance is 3-3/4". I had it one more slot forward on the rail , and kept having to shove my face forward to get a full scope picture .

Also have a left-handed charging bolt , currently being welded up , for my Son , who lost his right arm in a on-the-job accident . He's a Fire-fighter / E.M.T. and still on the Job . :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Man Grindl that's awesome that he's not letting that stop him. good info on the rifle, who made the scope mount stock etc.

Thanks
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:18 am

Appreciate all the kind words , Mark . The stock is the ATI-SKS- Dragonov style stock . I chose it for both the style , and the strength of design . I've used it in classes to demonstrate the "old-fashioned" Horizontal Butt Stroke , and broken 2x4's with one shot . Light weight , well made , and solid . The only negative I have about the stock is that it did require a lot of scraping and sanding to remove mold flash , and clean up the seams . And I took the time to clean up and fit the receiver area for a tight fit . And a Multi-cam paint job is in the near future for this one .

The scope mount is the UTG side-mount , sold thru Cheaper than Dirt for $21.97 , currently . Their stock number is : AKS-006 . I chose this mount for strength of design ,and the solid side plate . In order to mount it to the side of the receiver block of the SKS , I removed the bottom Quick-disconnect block , and milled the bottom edge flat & straight . After height fitment , and alignment , to clear the rear sight , I marked and then removed the excess material at the bottom of the mount . Three attachment holes were drilled ( Milling machine ) thru both the mount , and the receiver , and a required "spacer" block , to center the scope to barrel alignment . Grade "8" stainless hardware was mounted , from inside - out , and nuts and washers are on the outside of the receiver .

I would strongly recommend to anyone considering this "Mod" ; to use this mount only . I have done this "Mod" for friends using some of the other mounts , per their request , that weren't solid side-plate , and there was problems with flexing , and keeping the scope aligned . And we ended up re-doing the job . :thumbdown:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Next

Return to Rifle Discussion