It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:37 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Rifle Discussion

Savage FCP-SR

Discuss all things non Mosin rifle related here

Savage FCP-SR

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:47 am

I picked up a Savage FCP-SR 308 with a 24" barrel in a trade recently. It was new and never fired. I've heard these are really accurate with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo so I picked up 2 boxes of 168 grain to break the barrel in and give it a try. It is threaded 5/8-24 and thanks to a friend I had a nice brake laying here that was perfect for it. The brake works great. The 308 kicks more like a bolt action 223 with the brake installed.

I mounted a cheap $70 BSA scope that I had laying around just too break it in. It's a junk scope. I took this gun to the range yesterday but forgot my cleaning stuff for a proper breakin so I didn't want to shoot it too many times. I lined the scope up at 100 yards which took 5 shots and then I decided to shoot the 250 yard silhouette. I just held about 6" high and nailed the 6" center mass swinger plate. I turned over to the 325 yard steel and held a bout 16" high and nailed it a couple shots. Then on a wild hair I decided to try the 600 yard silhouette. Going on just past experience I took an educated guess on holdover and to my surprise nailed the 6" center mass swinger. I used the same holdover to nail it 4 more consecutive shots. All in all I am very happy with this rifle so far. I think I'm going to order a new SWFA for it. I shot it yesterday with thay junk scope with tons of parallax so to me that makes the 5/5 600 yards hits even more incredible. Plus it was with factory ammo. I think this gun is going to be a real shooter for being in full factory condition and factory ammo. The trigger feels to be at about 2 lb and very crisp. I ended up shooting it a total of 13 times.

I'll get up a few pics in a minute.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Savage FCP-SR

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:57 am

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:58 am

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:59 am

image.jpeg
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby bearrowland » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Those Savages are amazing rifles!
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:36 am

Finally a little upgrade to this rifle. Cabelas had a special on Vortex Viper scopes and I picke up another scope like I have on my 6.5-284 Norma. I really like that scope. These scopes list for $469-489 and the on on my 6.5 mm I found a few years ago on a super deal. It's a 6.5-20x 44 mm and I paid $279 for it from Dougs camaraland. This new one on my fcp-SR is a 6.5-20 x50 mm that I picked up from cabelas for $259. List price is $489 on it. So I'm pretty excited. It definitely looks a lot more "fitting" or "appropriate".

I may have to resize the pic at work for it to post
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:24 pm

A better pic
image.jpeg
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Deathsythe311 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:29 pm

How this working out for you? Been on the fence on a 18 inch model of these for my 1k yard shooter while I wait for my UK59 mosin build. Are you still happy with it?
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 36 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:39 am

Deathsythe311 wrote:How this working out for you? Been on the fence on a 18 inch model of these for my 1k yard shooter while I wait for my UK59 mosin build. Are you still happy with it?[/
Deathsythe311 wrote:How this working out for you? Been on the fence on a 18 inch model of these for my 1k yard shooter while I wait for my UK59 mosin build. Are you still happy with it?

So far I really like it. I'm going to have to order a 20 Moa rail for it though. The older versions came with a 20 moa rail from the factory but now the newer ones come with a flat rail. And I run out of turret at 600. Which is a no go for me. It shoots great with gold medal match right off the shelve. Sub moa for sure and I've got some 1/2" groups with it. The barrel really isn't even fully broke in yet. I've got about 30-35 rounds through it. I bought some dies for it at Christmas but haven't had time to use them yet. It's trapping season here so my focus is on catching a bobcat. I'd love to get one mounted.

I fully expect (based on what I've seen so far) to get sub 1/2 moa out of this gun with hand loads. The gun is fairly heavy as all bull barrel rifles are but the flutes really help keep it slightly lighter that most round bull barrels I've handled. The accustock is pretty nice. It's very sturdy in the forearm which I like because I know it won't flex into the barrel. The accutrigger is great. It's already threaded for a muzzle device so that's a plus. I'm not a big fan or the big tactical knobs myself but it does make for effortless cycles and is easy to grip. I like the 3 position safety as I know the bolt won't get bumped open while I'm carrying it in my shoulder.

My two main gripes are :

1) if you're going to supply a rail on a tactical style long range rifle, why would you put a flat rail on it? It should still come with the 20 moa rail. So now I have to by one.

2)why doesn't it come with an adjustable cheekpiece like the Long Range Hunter? This isn't a huge deal to me but would have been nice. I'm going to make my own for it when I get a chance.

Overall if I was going to rate it in performance and saticfaction. I'd give it a 8/10. If I didn't already own it and wanted an inexpensive long range shooter I'd definitely buy it again.

Hope this helps.
Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Hey there , Jared . Been following this with interest , as I'm helping a friend up-grade his Savage Axis 110 , ( Mid-priced Hunter ) . Just a thought ; but rather than mess with changing the rail , take a look at the Burris Signature XTR Tactical rings with the inserts . They can give you the 20 MOA and can also correct for any slight rail misalignment at the same time . David at CCA suggested them to me for my build and I decided to go with them . Could be worth looking at , and save the time and money of changing the rail , too...

Best selling point for me on these rings was the number of them I have seen on a whole herd of top-notch "F" shooters guns out here . Those folks know something about the quality equipment . And call me lazy , lol . But changing a set of rings is a whole lot easier and less time consuming than also changing the rail , and re-setting the scope . Just my half-a-nickels worth .

Just ordered mine from Brownell's and total was $107.95-shipped . That will give me 85+ MOA total.
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 192 times
Kudos  Received: 122 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Next

Return to Rifle Discussion