It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Pistol Discussion

Springfield XD40

Pistol discussion semi auto revolver etc.

Re: Springfield XD40

Postby Fung_13 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:06 pm

I love the XD line of pistols!!! I found a rare XD that very few were ever made. It is a XD in 357 Sig. Went back to get it and lost out.
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 34 times
Kudos  Received: 26 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:27 am

Man Fung that's awesome, I've never seen one of those. That is a beast of a round however and I think I would only want to shoot it from the Tactical size just have that extra inch of barrel.

The cool thing with the XD is it's a simple barrel swap. I can buy a 9mm barrel and a mag and now I have a 9mm. I think this only works on the XD-40 but you can go to the 357 sig on that frame as well. I also found a company that makes a 22 conversion kit for the XD
By the way I have a question, can I go to a longer barrel on the "service" model? I want to get a 40 or a 9mm barrel and put a compensator on it.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:10 am

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you , Mark .Been out of town for a bit . A friend set up some classes for me to teach , and ya always have to get the money when it's available . I have a couple of pics of the "smile" cases on my photo-bucket , and tried to get them up-loaded , but apparently I'm not holding my mouth correctly , or something . My IT Dept. ; ( grand-daughter ) is coming for a visit this week or next , and I'm sure she will correct the problem ( Me ! :oops: ) and get me trained correctly .

As far as oil ; or lube , I use 3in1 sewing machine oil for a lube in my Glock . Before a range session ; I pull the slide off and do the five or six drops in the proper places , put the slide back on the frame , and shoot . I have a small can in both my range bag , and ruck , along with cleaning accessories , and a spay can of Liquid Wrench Silicone spray . (Red / White / Black can) Since I started using this product , I've found cleaning time reduced , and zero issues with any type of gun or ammo malfunctions . Please understand ; though I live in a metro area of Phoenix , it's still surrounded by dessert , and it is a high , micro-fine dust environment . Drier ; and minimal lubrication is better for my guns . Heavier oils and any type of grease would cause extra problems here . Though I do use White Lithium on my M-N bolt . But I have to keep the bolt inside a sealed heavy duty plastic bag , when it's not in the rifle .

I will get those pics up as soon as possible .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Even11 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:29 pm

I have an xd 40 bi tone service model also, it's my go to pistol for most everything. I have even shot idpa with it! I actually sold it once and went and bought it back because I like it better than my XD-M.

As far as ammo, mine likes most everything, fiocci, speer lawman, winchester white box, the only thing it has ever hung up on were some gun show special reloads. I don't shoot much self defense ammo through it though, so I would rely on the other guys input there.

For lube, I like one I found called weapon shield, it seems to be a bit thicker than your average rem oil or hoppes and the like. It smells better too. Just a couple drops and it's good to go. They make a grease that I use on my Mosins and my garand also. My buddy uses Mobil 1 motor oil on his xd and his AR for what that's worth, I don't think the xds are too picky.
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 74 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:30 am

If you're looking for carry ammo, I use Speer. I'm not sure if they still have this policy or not, but I originally started carrying Speer because if a situation arose where you had to shoot someone and were in the right in doing it, Speer would use their lawyers to defend you in court at no cost to you.

Some of my buddies carry carry XD's and some carry S&W. I carry a Glock 22 or 23 in winter and something smaller in the summer. My G22 so far is more accurate than all the rest of my buddies guns. So far I've never cleaned it. I'll get to it one of these days. A guy at my local gun store shot his G22 in competition for many years and won many titles and never cleaned his even once. He finally did clean it and said he was scared to death that he might have changed something or messed it up, but won the competition the very next day with it.

Anyways. Rambled there a little. Not sure about XD, but my G22 and 23 really prefer the 165 grn loads. And a plus to the accuracy is less recoil and a faster return on target acquisition.

Target loads I just throw whatever I can get a hold of in it.

Jared

On an unrelated side note. My wife took my G22 to do her concealed weapons class one weekend and the instructor walked down the line looking at the weapons that were brought. The class was mostly girls. He got to my wife and said where did you get that gun? She replied it is her husbands and he told her that it was the only gun at the class that made sense and she did well. :roll: all of the rest of the class brought little compact carry guns to use for two full days of shooting and 750 rounds.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Hey Mark. Just wondering if you'd been out to shoot your new pistol any. How do you like it so far? All my buddies love theirs.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:38 pm

Was going to take it to the range this weekend until the fires hit out here. So much smoke and ash I thought I was living in Pompeii!

I've been trying to get used to the slide as well. It's a bit stiffer than I'm used too. I called Springfield and they said it will work in. Man I thought I was getting a weak grip. (No CA jokes please!) I was also looking into that neoprene slide bumper that they sell to "help reduce recoil" but I've heard mixed reviews on it. Hopefully I'll get it out with the new rifles next weekend.

I do have a question for you guys, do you practice with gloves? I've seen a lot of guys at the range with shooting gloves but I would think you'd loose the feel of the trigger.

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:56 am

Guess I'm old school , Mark . For the most part , I'd have to say , "No, I don't use gloves". Although I did have a set of gloves I used in the Highlands during Monsoon season . Cold ; wet , everything soaked , and couldn't get warm for days . But the trigger finger was cut off the glove , for feel , as you questioned .
I've never seen to many top pistol shooters at Camp Perry wearing gloves , and these guys are pretty much , the best in the world . And if my Dad had ever caught me wearing gloves on the range , to shoot a pistol of any kind , I'd have never heard the end of it . :lol:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby iridium-192 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:29 pm

Never had a privilege to shoot this particular pistol but seen & heard quite a bit. Haven’t heard too much complains about it accept lengthy reset trigger travel & very high barrel placement... Yet, seems like owners didn’t consider that as a big deal... One time even considered purchasing it, but somehow ended up with G26, hate the gun BTW…
I’ve never shoot any of my handguns with gloves, just trying to be as close to real situation as possible… (Highly unlikely that I will use gloves in self defense situation with my under pillow gun))))
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 326 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby iridium-192 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:31 pm

It would be appropriate to post this video here, which I'm sure, everybody familiar with already. This is a computer animation of how a semi-auto pistol works on an example of Springfield Armory XDM Compact .45 ACP.
Watch on youtube.com
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 326 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Previous

Return to Pistol Discussion