It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:31 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Pistol Discussion

Springfield XD40

Pistol discussion semi auto revolver etc.

Springfield XD40

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:57 pm

OK I bit the bullet and purchased a Springfield XD-40 with a stainless slide. The pistol feels really good in my hand and the sites seem to line up perfect for me.
And yes it is CA legal. Any tips on ammo etc.

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Springfield XD40

Postby farmerboy78 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:49 pm

You made a GREAT choice, I have one and they're fine shooters
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:47 pm

I had been doing a lot of research and this seemed to be the most bang for the buck. I haven't purchased any ammo yet I'm still looking for some good candidates for reloading.

Can you tell anything I should be looking for on this pistol? I was thinking of upgrading the sites to get away from the 6:00 O Clock style sites? Anything else would be awesome.

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby bearrowland » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:20 pm

I know of some local police officers that carry these as duty weapons and love them. I don't think you could go wrong with one of these pistols!
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby Grindl » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:49 am

The question was ammo , I think . I carry a Glock 22 , .40 cal and my first - in the gun magazine has 13 rounds of Hornady 174gr XTP . My back-up magazine is my load of a Berry's THP (Target Hollow Point) 180gr. with 10.2gr of 2400 . Hand-load is very accurate out to 150 yards. 7 or 8 hits a magazine on a 12"x12" steel at that range with this load . I'll accept 50% hit ratio at that range with any handgun and ammo . I worked this load in just like working in a Mosin load .
As for reloading Brass , my personal preference is Federal...Seems to hold up better for a hotter load like I'm using . Just recently got my hands on 3,000 nickel-plated Federal cases from a "Competition shooter" who had to much personal stock on hand . Got them for the heavier load and 1,000 nickel cases for my 9mm drop-in barrel . That load is a 124gr HP in front of 5.4gr of Red Dot . These are not "Plinking" loads , Boys & Girls . :shh:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:56 pm

Wow 3000 rounds of brass, that would keep me reloading for weeks hehe. I was always leery of reloading the plated stuff since it seems a little harder to find the defects.

I'm shooting 165 grain at the moment I heard that is easier on the brass.

Thanks for the info
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:00 am

Mark ; I'm in a reloading CO-OP of eight shooters and since there are several different mfgs. handguns in the group ,we tested different loads and powders that would work well in all the pistols . Glocks , Kimbers ,XD's & M&P's. What turned out to be a very good load was the Hodgdon book load for 165gr. Round nose , Flat point or JHP . The only change turned out to be FPS/MV , due to the bullet being fired , and pressure gradient change was very minimal , and well within safety parameters. That load is :

7.4gr. of Hodgdon Longshot . COL : 1.125"

I think this would be a good starting point load to begin with , and give you a baseline . Pistol reloading is just like Mosin reloading . You might have to try several different powders and loads to find out what yours likes best . A lot of Comp shooters like Bulls-eye ,and my Dad used it to win multiple Natl. Titles back in the 60's , but I find it to be excessively "dirty", so I don't use it .

When loading pistol ammo ; my goal is to get the highest MV and reduce or keep chamber pressure the same . When hand-gunners refer to a "Hot" load , they are referencing speed and not a max pressure load.

I hand-deburr every case , plated or not ,inside and out . Neck , primer pocket , etc...And the deburr tool will tell you if you have any defects in the necks . You'll feel the little click if there is a split or defect in the neck.
And you are so very correct . It will take about six weeks of available evenings to load those cases . 90% of that time is case prep . Even on these Virgin plated cases .Good luck with your new endeavor , and I hope you enjoy your new hand-gun .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks for the info Grindl, that sounds like a good load to start with. Since your in a reload co-op with guys with Glocks I keep hearing about this "Glock smile" that get's left on the cases when firing 180 grains from Glocks. Have you seen any of that with your guys brass? I was looking at buying some once fired stuff but I want to make sure I'm not getting something that could be a problem.

I'm also looking at the Advantage Arms .22 LR Mod for the XD. This way I can train my wife on the XD frame and get her used to that. Then bring her up to speed on the .40 cal. Have you guys developed any "Light Loads" that will cycle properly?

Thanks
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Your timing ; as usual is nearly perfect . I shot 300 rounds of my 180 THP / 10.4gr.-2400 load at B-A yesterday , so I had some good brass to look at for the "Glock smile". I found two cases out of the lot , and I'm going to assume they were fired towards the end of the session . The reason I say this is because this mark you're referring to seems to only show up in my brass after a extended shooting session . That leads me to believe that the cause is a chamber loading up with blow-back ,causing a "hard extraction", and as soon as the barrel / chamber is cleaned , it disappears .

Conclusion being that it is caused by a dirty chamber , rather than a defect in the gun , barrel , or loading practices . Many people will tell you they have excellent cleaning and maintenance procedures on their handguns , but truth be known , Handguns are probably the most poorly cleaned and maintained of any firearm beyond Competition Shooters . A sad reality of life in the gun world . The ; "I'll do it later syndrome", and it gets put off .

My Glock only gets completely dis-assembled once every 5 or 6 months for a complete cleaning of the slide and all incumbent parts . The frame gets sprayed down , as does the slide ,and blown off , but the barrel is cleaned after every session , with special attention to the chamber due to blow-back loading . Then it gets all of six (6) drops of oil in the proper places , as recommended by Glock . This is the only way I've found to have a 100% tactically functioning handgun . And I carry a Glock because it is the AK-47 of handguns .

Mark ; I like your idea of the .22 conversion , but I'm of the mind that after your wife is comfortable with that , I would suggest taking her to a 9mm , if possible . The reaction most women have to going from a .22 to a .40 cal , is the recoil and concussion of a .40 is generally negative , and over-whelms them initially . If you can get a 9mm Drop-in barrel , it would be a plus on several levels , as it would give you ammo availability of the two most common ammo calibers in a crisis situation , and loading 9mm is a whole lot cheaper than 40cal. 9mm bullets are about $30-40.00 cheaper per 1,000.

One of the Ladies I load for has a M&P 9mm and she loves my 124gr.- 9mm load of 5.4gr of Red Dot . And she is 79yrs young and about 90lbs. with two rocks in her pockets. But I wouldn't get in front of her at any range . :lol: :lol:

One guy in the group shoots IPSC competition and he loads 4.8gr of Winchester 231 at a COL of 1.130". He describes this as "Snappy ; and not to much recoil". And as you probably know ; those guys don't like having their gun taken off target by big recoil . The bullet is a Sierra 165 JHP.
Another option would be to drop the charge wt. on the Longshot load to 7gr even , and take the COL to 1.130". Would soften it up a little , also .

I apologize for being long-winded ; but I'm trying to be as accurate as possible on this info , as all the guys on this site have always been in helping me learn the how-to of the Mosin . I enjoy helping in any way I can . Thanks for asking . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:31 pm

No that's great stuff Grindl, in fact I was looking at a 9mm barrel for my XD. Apparently the frame is the same for the 9mm, 40 and 357sig. A simple barrel swap and a new mag of the same caliber and your good to go. Although the 357 sig might need a lighter spring.

Interesting observation about the fouling. Do you happen to have one of the shells that you could take a photo of?

I'm looking for some good lube for the pistol, I wanted to use Militec 1 but seem to be out of it, I think my nephew borrowed my last bottle for his AR. I'm looking into several different grease brands as well,

Thanks again
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Next

Return to Pistol Discussion