It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Vintage and Antique Firearms

Best way to test vintage shotgun barrels?

Got a really old firearm your trying to restore? Discuss it here!

Best way to test vintage shotgun barrels?

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:22 pm

I have a buddy who has a stagecoach gun, it's pretty old but looks to be in really good shape for it's age. he's afraid to shoot it due to the age of the barrel. He was told that his barrel was a "wire" barrel and might blow up if fired due to it's age. Anyone know of a good way to test that to find out if first it is as stated, and second if it is intact.
Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Best way to test vintage shotgun barrels?

Postby bearrowland » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:03 am

Here in Pennsylvania these barrels were fairly common (especially in 16 ga.) thirty plus years back. There were brave souls that fired modern smokeless rounds in them and never had an issue, but I always thought if I ever owned one I'd load up some low pressure black powder rounds, which is what they were designed to fire. I tried to find a way to test them, but couldn't. If memory serves, I thought it was a combination of magnifying the barrel and some sort of acid test but I can't remember for certain. There were also a fair number of "fake" damascus barrels, i.e. regular steel barrels made to look like the more expensive damascus.
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Return to Vintage and Antique Firearms