It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:05 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Introductions

Hi from South Dakota

New around here introduce yourself to the forum

Hi from South Dakota

Postby redleg37 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:21 am

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while and decided to join. I've got a 1939 91/30 round receiver Mosin with an ATI stock and a bent bolt coming in the mail. I also have an AR15 I built myself. Once upon a time I was an armorer for the US Army so the AR15 was kind of a natural choice for me.

The Mosin will be my *inexpensive distance shooter when I am done with it. I've shortened the barrel and removed the rear sight and dovetail.

My plans for it are to mount a rock solid mount, get it threaded for a muzzle brake, put a bipod on it, and eventually start hand loading for it. I use to shoot 155mm cannons, so I am a sucker for a double baffled muzzle brake.

This was already *****'d so I don't feel bad for modding it and turning it into a useful rifle.

I have a friend who is a competitive shooter (3 gun and local AR15 and pistol competitions) so I'm hoping he will help set me straight with my shooting some. We have access to a 600 meter range. The AR will be stretching a bit to get good hits at that distance, and I'm hoping the Mosin will be able to do it reliably when I am done with it.

As far as my shooting history, I've only shot a handgun on two occasions. I used to do well with various machine guns and grenade launchers in the Army, but I never did particularly well with my M16 or M4. I'm hoping to improve my rifle skills a bit.

What else should I put here? I'm married, I have 2 kids, a dog, and a snake. The dog knows she is my favorite. I work in a hospital full time and in the National Guard part time. I've never been hunting but I did apply for a tag this year; didn't get one and the deer mock me daily now for it. I see them every day on my way to work, standing in an open field, laughing because I can't hunt them.

Thanks for the cool forum.

-Red
Random avatar
redleg37
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Hi from South Dakota

Postby jaysny87 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Welcome from Houston Texas. Lots of info and nice folks here. Enjoy the piles of awesomeness contained within the threads on this forum.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Re: Hi from South Dakota

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm

Welcome to the Forum, you won't find a better place to hang out. We all like pictures so post some when you have a chance

Again Welcome
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Return to Introductions