It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:33 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Showcase

my mosin family pics

Show off your Mosin Nagant collection or single rifle here....

Re: my mosin family pics

Postby matthies77 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Grimstod wrote:Looks awsome. Great work! :thumbup: :thumbup:
When blueing remember to get the thing as clean as you can. And don't stop with just kne application of the stuff.

Thank you! And your absolutely correct about the blueing, it takes way more than one coat, and you have to clean the metal very well! Also after 12 coats of blueing, i'm still not 100% happy with it, have more to go!
matthies77
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby matthies77 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Shepard wrote:I'd be careful floating a barrel that heavy. Neither of my two heavy barreled rifles are floated. I don't consider the receiver or the threaded tendon large enough for the weight. My SV98 does have a full float barrel because the barrel is light compared to the McGowan or the GM pieces. I feel the stress of the barrel weight and the light duty Mosin Receiver are not compatible for full float set up. Otherwise it looks splendid. I know that my MS 308 shoots fine with a fully bedded barrel

Shepard
Thank you! And while I was floating the barrel, I was wondering if that was such a good idea. And since you have more insight on heavy barrels,I gonna bed the entire barrel. Once again thank you for your input! Will keep everyone posted to the rest of the build, and range report. I have some more work to do!
matthies77
Marksman
Marksman

Postby 0933 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:04 pm

I absolutely LOVE the look of your second heavy barrel build!! 8-)

Great job!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grimstod » Wed May 15, 2013 4:13 pm

What blueing chemical are you using? I have learned the hard way that if you solution gets contaminated then it will weaken its affect.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 291 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby matthies77 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:42 am

Grimstod wrote:What blueing chemical are you using? I have learned the hard way that if you solution gets contaminated then it will weaken its affect.

Grimstod-
I'm using oxpho blue for the blueing, and 4 ought steel wool, with lots of elbow grease.
matthies77
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Grimstod » Fri May 17, 2013 1:13 pm

Marauder uses that. I hear you can only apply it once though. As long as you do it right ti looks great according to what I am told.

One bit of advice I can get is where rubber gloves. Not to protect you necessarily but to keep oils from your skin off the gun and the chemicals.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 291 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby matthies77 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:57 am

Grimstod wrote:Merauder uses that. I hear you can only apply it once though. As long as you do it right ti looks great according to what I am told.

One bit of advice I can get is where rubber gloves. Not to protect you necessarily but to keep oils from your skin off the gun and th chemicals.

I have talked with several gunsmiths here in south dakota, and many others online, in regards to the home blueing process, and they all say the same thing. Wear gloves! Well since i'm a firefighter and emt I always wear gloves, not for my safety but for patients safety. The thing I have noticed on the uk-59 barrel is this, the muzzle break and the barrel bushing (sleave) are a different type of metal. While the barrel looks great, its the other two pieces that are giving me a hard time. I'm gonna try the blueing designed for harder steel and see if that works any better.
matthies77
Marksman
Marksman

Previous

Return to Mosin Showcase