It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Showcase

my mosin family pics

Show off your Mosin Nagant collection or single rifle here....

Re: my mosin family pics

Postby Grimstod » Tue May 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Looks awsome. Great work! :thumbup: :thumbup:
When blueing remember to get the thing as clean as you can. And don't stop with just kne application of the stuff.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 287 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby matthies77 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:37 pm

Here is the test fire! Note* there is no scope on the reciever yet, as this is just a test fire! Ok I guess your not gonna get the video! Computer 1- Don 0!.....If anyone knows how to up load the video, please let me know! :evil: :evil: :evil:

After everything is said and done she weighs in at 14#'s, also note that there is a spacer between the muzzle break and the barrel, it is ever so visible in the picture with the pencil pointing at it. The reason for the spacer was this., when tightened down the ports aligned on the top and bottom, I didn't like that at all, so added a spacer then retightened down, now the ports align to the left and right.

Also on the backside of the trigger guard, that had to be filed and smoothed out, because she bit the middle finger knuckle. And the pistol grip was also sanded and smoothed out to aloow for my fat fingers!
matthies77
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Grimstod » Tue May 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Yes I noticed it but could not tell that it was a spacer. At the time I was looking at it on my phone.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby 0933 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Very nice!! :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to more range reports!! 8-)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby matthies77 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Did the video link work? I can't see it on the web page, maybe I did something wrong when copying the link!

Sorry! I have to go! (fire) will attempt to fix when i get back!

Well I guess that the vido format is not allowed on this forum, ok!
If you want to see the test fire just im me with your email address and ill forward the test fire clip!
matthies77
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Grimstod » Tue May 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Hmmm I tried on both my iPad and desktop. Could not get it to play.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Re: Green Mountain Heavy Barrel

Postby matthies77 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Ok here is the build up of the second barrel that I purschased from Shepard! Once again Thank you Shepard for the outstanding work that you performed on these barrels! You are really knowledgeable and skilled!

So what I did was this:
I used the brown hamemade stock that I already used for a build, I just didn't have the time to carve and sand out a new stock blank, thats more of a winter project. Also its already set up for the Timney trigger!
So after taking out the older rifle and parts, I had to open up the barrel channel, that was done with a wooden dowl and sand paper, making sure to take a little off at a time. Also Some of the pictures look the same that have been posted on my posts earlier, I'm still getting used to taking pictures while I'm working! And working on two rifles at once, is a little easier when you have all the tools already out and using them.
So I didn't take pictures of all the tool used! And other than using the reciever hitch of my truck all the rest of the tools were the approiate ones for gunsmithing! I figure use what you have on hand, or just make them as you go! However I did buy the headspace gauges from firewerks! They are a valuable tool!
Image Having to cut the extractor groove in the barrel, it was easier than I thought it would be. And using only a dremel tool and a really good stone, taking my time it was rather easy. The best thing to remember is to take your time and check and recheck your work!
After putting the rifle together hand tight, checking tolerances, and clearances, assembling and disassembling the rifle many times before torqueing the rifle barrel to well over 250 foot pounds, and taking my time setting the headspace, and rechecking all the previous work done. The best thing to do is go slow, take your time and recheck everything! Especially the headspace!

So after fitting the reciever and heavy barrel to the stock. It was time for blueing. That in itself is a very time consuming process! Having apllied 12 coats of blueing,and working it in, I still have more to go with that! Blueing in its self is an art!
The rifle now site in the custom stock modeled after the cz rifle, it weighs in at 18 pounds. Has a free floating barrel. Timney trigger, scope and mount, and also a bipod. It also has extensive bedding. Will keep everyone posted with the range report!
matthies77
Marksman
Marksman

Postby matthies77 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:53 pm

0933 wrote:Cool!! 8-)

I kind of like that stock modelled after the CZ... The pistol grip and forend are just about perfect. The combination of high comb and low heel make it look different but that stock would definitely be more ergonomic in an erect (standing/kneeling) position.

Don't get me wrong... I like the boyds stocks, but they were designed around the prone position

I love the boyd's thumbhole, I used one in brown/brown laminate for my first Mosin Nagant build. 8-)

I like the stock you are going to use on your latest build... definitely keep us posted on that rifle as she comes together!! :thumbup:

Thank you! And your correct, the stock may look a bit out of the ordinary, but when throw it up (shoulder the rifle)it aligns everything perfectly, no strain on your neck or back. I like the boyds stocks because they are a good platform to work from. And I like the rifle you have!
matthies77
Marksman
Marksman

Postby matthies77 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Shepard wrote:Thank you so much for sharing this! You have fantastic collection -- restored and completely customized. Can't wait to see your next two builds ;) Boyds makes a very popular stock, are you going to use a Boyds for your next builds?

Your Welcome!And Thank you, for allowing me to purschase the two rifle barrels from you! Yes im going to use Boyds stocks for the next two builds as well! One of which is already pictured, its the stock blank modeled after the CZ 427 Royale.
matthies77
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Shepard » Wed May 15, 2013 12:58 pm

I'd be careful floating a barrel that heavy. Neither of my two heavy barreled rifles are floated. I don't consider the receiver or the threaded tendon large enough for the weight. My SV98 does have a full float barrel because the barrel is light compared to the McGowan or the GM pieces. I feel the stress of the barrel weight and the light duty Mosin Receiver are not compatible for full float set up. Otherwise it looks splendid. I know that my MS 308 shoots fine with a fully bedded barrel
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Showcase