It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:16 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Showcase

Photographing your gun

Show off your Mosin Nagant collection or single rifle here....

Photographing your gun

Postby Grimstod » Mon May 27, 2013 11:53 am

Next Years calendar photos.
So how do we want to see you guns photographed. I put this together to help you along.

What we like to see photos of when someone posts.

1) Top of the barrel shank (Barrel shank is where the date from Russia is stamped along with the arsenal marks)

2) Shot along side of the receiver with stop and bolt nob.

3) Import mark (either on the barrel muzzle or the receiver) (Very Important)

3) Base of the scope system

4) Picture of the gun facing you.

5) Left side of gun
6) Right side of gun

7) Try you hand at angles. These are generally the best shots.

Take More Photos
The more you take the better you will get. Once you take some nice ones you will be more motivated to take more as well. Try as many different ideas as you can too, the best thing about digital is you can take an endless amount and delete them in seconds if you don't like them. You really have no reason not to take more, so go for it.
DON'T USE THE FLASH
The direct flash on the camera destroys more pictures than anything else, and unless you are photographing the license plate of a hit and run driver speeding in to the distance or something like that there is no reason to ever use it. Any kind of light can be used, it's easiest to take good pictures in good natural lighting but since you can easily adjust the white balance, tone and color later it's not super important as long as there's no glare or shadows on your object. My favorite is with the light of a window. Or late day sun obscured by some clouds to soften it.

Use a Tripod
Even a cheap $10 mini one will do. When you are taking pictures without the flash you will probably need a longer exposure time, and if you are holding the camera in your hands the photo will be blurry and out of focus.
Use a Low ISO
This adjusts your cameras sensitivity to light, and has similar effects as using the small aperture, increased depth of field and higher detail. I nearly always use an ISO of 100 on non moving objects. Again, tripod and timer are necessary.
Use a long lens. Avoid wide angles. It puts to much of the background in the photo. If you were getting your portrait done by a pro he would use a long lens. Generally over 100mm. If its flattering to humans then its flattering to guns too.

Try to find an uncluttered background. Some used camo netting or burlap. A plane black is nice too. Be carful using velvet. It can tend to look overly glory or dirty if it is not absolutely perfect. Rocks are also a nice touch. If you go into the wood try to find hardwoods that are fairly deep with large well established trees. Larger trees have simple trunks without a tun of twigs. Twigs are messy and distracting.

Other things in the photo
You can put in a verity of other things to dress up the sean . Bullet, WWII helmet or uniform. Bayonet is nice too. Spotting scopes and maybe even hearing protection can also work. Some I have seen include some of there reloading equipment. Another location to try is your workbench but only try this if its uncluttered. Try combinations of what you have. YOu may find you like it with everything in there or maybe just a few things. Don't get into the habit of thinking I can fix it in photoshop. If you find yourself thinking this then slap yourself or get you better half to do it. :)
Always try to simplify and keep in the photo only those things that are important. You do not want unimportant things in the photo to detract from you gun.

Propping the gun up. There are many ways to do it. You can use a bipod. Or even hang it with string. In any respect you want to make whatever is holding it up as invisible as posable.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 287 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Photographing your gun

Postby MJ1 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:31 pm

You have some nice photo examples, where on earth did you find them?

..MJ..

MJ1
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 9 times

Postby Grimstod » Wed May 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks. Google image search. Hope you don't mind my dusting some of yours as examples. You got good photo skills.

That is a AWSOME Finn stock! Drulllllllll :crazy: :thumbup: :clap:
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed May 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Beautiful stock.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby MJ1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:54 am

To soon I fear we will only have our pictures. I have zero training in photography and learn by poking at it now and again. But the formula seems to be as advised with indirect lighting a tripod and timer. Most of my work is done with a ten year old Fuji 2600z @ $100 new back then. It's old and hardly works now but has better macro and no flash setting than our new 35mm Canon at eight time the price.

Canon

Fuji

... :crazy: ...
MJ1
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grimstod » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:19 am

I know what you mean MJ. Cameras don't really matter. It's the lens that really counts. Notice. I don't ever particularly push any brand.

But for the record I use Olympus. And I use it cause the Nikon and Cannon crowd is weard. Lol
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby MJ1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:55 am

I just stick with what I know and Fuji and Canon have worked for me from Viet Nam to N. Cal.

Same photo
My arms shop
MJ1
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Mosin Showcase