It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:08 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Showcase

My M44 Sporter

Show off your Mosin Nagant collection or single rifle here....

My M44 Sporter

Postby jaysny87 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:05 pm

I just thought I would post some pictures of the M44 I did some work on here a couple of months ago. Its modest compared to some of the awesome rifles I've seen on this forum but I like it.

I selected this rifle for modification for reasons that would infuriate some collectors but this forum seems to be more diverse and accepting than others. The bore was in great condition, bright and shiny. The bolt had virtually no slop and the metal was in perfect condition. However the bolt body was not was not original to the rifle and was electro penciled on when refurbed. So it wasn't a pristine collectors piece.

I did all the regular stuff: Boyds heritage stock, pillars and glass bedding, Timney trigger, Rocksolid mount and bolt handle. re-crowned the muzzle to 11 degrees, polished up the firing pin, white filled the numbers on the rear sight leaf (just for looks),removed the bayonet lug and turned down the sleeve, modified the front sight shroud, and Duracoated all the metal.

blended the sleeve pretty well to the barrel.

All said and done I'm happy with it, and it shoots pretty well(better than it did before).

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Re: My M44 Sporter

Postby Even11 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:30 am

Looks like one hell of a nice sporter! I especially like what you did at the muzzle end with the sleeve and the front sight. Good work!

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 74 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby jaysny87 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:01 am

Thank you. I had searched around for an M38 that was a reasonable price with no luck. And on a sporter I like to have the option of iron sights just in case anything were to happen where I would need them in the field (however unlikely). I considered a 91/30 and the front sight adapter from brass stacker. But I found this M44 and the price was a little high but the condition was very good.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby 0933 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:50 am

Very nice work!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Mosin Showcase