It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:57 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant History

Dragoon Rifles Discription

History and facts about the Mosin Nagant Rifle

Dragoon Rifles Discription

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:01 am

Dragoon Rifle=This rifle was developed for use by Dragoons (mounted infantry). 64 mm (2.5 in) shorter and 0.4 kg (0.9 lb) lighter than the M1891. The Dragoon rifle's dimensions are identical to the later M1891/30 rifle. The rear site of the dragoons is more rounded where the M1891/30 is flat and most Dragoon rifles were eventually reworked into M1891/30s.

Most such rifles, known to collectors as "ex-Dragoons", can be identified by their pre-1930 date stampings, and by the difference in the fit of the the rear site to the gun. Most show a gap under the sites. However small numbers of Dragoon rifles were produced from 1930 to 1932 and after reworking became impossible to distinguish from purpose-built M1891/30s.

So all that being said If you find an original "Dragoon" then it's worth more than say an Ex-Dragoon that has been converted into your standard M1891/30. But physically they look almost the same.

Cossack Rifle=Introduced for Cossack horsemen, it is almost identical to the Dragoon rifle but is sighted for use without a bayonet.
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Dragoon Rifles Discription

Postby SCGUNCO » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Nice work on the definitions! When the smoke clears around here I'll post pix of my Dragoon rifle..
Need a milsurp fix? Drop me a line - we ship to Cali!
SCGUNCO
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby notabiker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:20 am

i just got a 1928 IZZY ex dragoon in a mosin trade with a friend. it does have that gap at the rear of the rear sight. another odd thing is the hand guard end caps are brass or copper not painted steel. otherwise it looks like all other 91-30s.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby hesh.monster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:55 pm

I know this is an older thread but I'm new to these boards so why not dig it up :D In reference to your brass bands (I've no idea if this is completely true) My local guy here in Iowa had one of these on the rack and claimed that he has seen a few of them through the years. He stated that they were officers rifles, given more as a type of reward for service rather than being meant for combat. I could possibly see this being true as the stock showed almost no wear and the bore was bright as the morning sun (save for the nice coating of cosmoline) which tells me it did not see much action. It was a round receiver '38 Izzy which I passed on for the 1926 Tula hex that now resides in my gun case.

Anyway, so far really enjoying this place and hope to pick up some good tips and of course some more Mosins! Happy shooting!
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,which would include their own government.
George Washington
hesh.monster
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 3 times

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:28 pm

First off welcome to the board, Your point is an interesting idea and I could possibly see that under the happening under the Czar for his personal guards or something along those lines. But I think that it's probably more practical than that. It simply could have been that brass was plentiful and inexpensive at the time, and so the caps were fashioned from that. I can't tell you how many rifles I've seen with the brass covered in black lacquer. Perhaps later revisions showed that the steel was stronger with less damage to the stock and thus was most likely upgraded. There is one other issue and that is if the rifle was re-arsenaled. Most rifles that have gone through this process are not in their original stocks anyway.

That however is just my opinion and I'm probably off. But I base it off my knowledge of how the Russians build military hardware. Functional, deadly but with no frills. Another issue could be that brass end caps tend to gleam a little and it might not be a good thing if your trying to disappear into the environment to have your rifle showing the way to your position..

Interesting idea, I'll see if I can find any documentation to support it.

Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby USSR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Hesh, where in Iowa are you at?
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Postby hesh.monster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Ft. Dodge
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,which would include their own government.
George Washington
hesh.monster
Sniper
Sniper

Postby hesh.monster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Marauder 1 wrote:First off welcome to the board, Your point is an interesting idea and I could possibly see that under the happening under the Czar for his personal guards or something along those lines. But I think that it's probably more practical than that. It simply could have been that brass was plentiful and inexpensive at the time, and so the caps were fashioned from that. I can't tell you how many rifles I've seen with the brass covered in black lacquer. Perhaps later revisions showed that the steel was stronger with less damage to the stock and thus was most likely upgraded. There is one other issue and that is if the rifle was re-arsenaled. Most rifles that have gone through this process are not in their original stocks anyway.

That however is just my opinion and I'm probably off. But I base it off my knowledge of how the Russians build military hardware. Functional, deadly but with no frills. Another issue could be that brass end caps tend to gleam a little and it might not be a good thing if your trying to disappear into the environment to have your rifle showing the way to your position..

Interesting idea, I'll see if I can find any documentation to support it.

Mark

I've sort of thought of it the same as you. A lot of the info from the "gun shop guys" is right, some isn't. They can really only go by what they are told when they purchase the lots or what they find in places like this.
George Washington
hesh.monster
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:57 pm

No matter what Hesh it sounds like you got a great rifle.. I can't wait to see it..
Thanks
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby hesh.monster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Hopefully I'll be getting everything finished up with mine pretty soon and get some pics posted. Currently I'm on the list waiting for my JMeck mount, it's been killing me lol. Some of the purists out there may not like it but I think mine may be a bit more "special" than I originally thought. It's a 1926 Ex-Dragoon, hex receiver, all numbers matched, all original proofs and marking are very clear, etc. Everything done so far is reversible and I've kept the original stock but pretty soon the barrel will get cut and threaded for a comp and then it's all over ;)

Sorry for cluttering up the thread, all done now!
George Washington
hesh.monster
Sniper
Sniper

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant History