It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:41 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Barrel Markings and what they mean

Post your barrel marking here

Want to know what some of those barrel markings mean? Look Here!

Re: Post your barrel marking here

Postby Fung_13 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:34 pm

SO what I have gathered it is Finnish Tikkakoski M28 of the Civil Guard pre-1930 for 1930 starting approx. with serial number 30,000 the Sako gear symbol was starting to be used. It has a 26 inch barrel.

It has no stock, bolt or front sight.I will post picture of it when I get a chance to take one again.

Anyone have any other info about it? Thanks
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 34 times
Kudos  Received: 26 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Hmmm, is there 2 plugged holes in the receiver? It looks like at one time there was a scope mounted to it thus the crossed out numbers on the side.

Have you slugged the barrel? Looks awesome, you might want to leave that barrel since it's a Finnish steel barrel, those are much better than the standard Mosin Barrel

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Fung_13 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 am

Marauder, I'd have to look. I have been out of town and busy so I don't remember if it has 2 plugged holes on the receiver. What would it mean? A former sniper rifle?
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 34 times
Kudos  Received: 26 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:03 pm

The crossed out serial number on the side of the barrel usually means it was paired to a scope. I don't see any indications of wholes in the top of the receiver so the side would be the next logical place to look. Now that being said since this rifle is not complete it could be someone has pieced it together from parts.

Oh I also didn't see a D stamp on the barrel indicating that it had been re-chambered to for Finnish ammo. I own an M27 and a M28/30 and they are both awesome shooters.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:15 pm

OK went over those photos again with a fine tooth comb. There is what appears to be a D stamp on the barrel, however not where I would expect it to be.

There are a couple of possibilities. I have no proof of these so take them with a gain of salt. It could have been started to be built as what has been termed a "sneak" rifle. That is not the proper term but that's what some call them.

They were built in the 60's by the Finns' when they were not supposed to be building them. They had a lot of war time captured parts and built them as rifles for for officers.

It could also have been an arsenal prototype or it was a test rifle, I tend to doubt it, but it's possible. I have a receiver here that has no date stamp as well. However mine is a round receiver. And from the way it's cut it's a high wall from the 40's. I believe this was a spare part and was sitting in a bin waiting to be built. Yours on the other hand is a Hex and those were already in service, so spares on those are not likely. My best guess is a parts gun. In any case it's still awesome

Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Previous

Return to Barrel Markings and what they mean