It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:57 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Barrel Markings and what they mean

Izhevsk Arsenal Markings and History

Want to know what some of those barrel markings mean? Look Here!

Re: Izhevsk Arsenal Markings and History

Postby DevilDog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:42 am

Here are some photos of my M44 you can compare to. It has a clear refurb mark. Most of the small marks are going to be proof marks for the various assembly and testing stages. Many are known as Mark points out, the powder and accuracy proofs. But many are not known as they refer to a certain inspector or stage in assembly.
Your 'suspected' refurb stamp is a bit larger than mine.

The circle 'T' is not a Tula hammer as that symbol is pre 1928.

A more likely Tula mark would be the star, as it appears on my rear site adjust:

here are some misc. proofs on the barrel:

Average price on an M44 seems to be around $250. (I won't tell you the bargain I got mine for) :mrgreen:

I had not really looked at all the marks on my M44, so thanks for posting. I did not realize there were so many...they stamped the Sh*t outta these!
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 am

I stand corrected, I was going by his hand drawing not the photos, sorry for the misinformation.
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby DevilDog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Marauder 1 wrote:I stand corrected, I was going by his hand drawing not the photos, sorry for the misinformation.
Seeya
Mark

Not trying to stomp on ya Mark...I might have made the same mistake if I did not have one to look at. :P
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby cavrider » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 pm

Ya, it does have the hump on it. lol. no clue what it means. And its not the 91/30. its the m44 carbine. i know, hard to tell with the pics. and the price is from thr smoke being blown up my rear by my gunsmith. it is a great weapon. and wit h the carbines being harder to find, numbers matching, and in good shap. I know its worth a bit more then your $80 gun show refurb. I'm just trying to see if its worth finishing the restore and find a collector who likes russain rifles. Or somthing that will be oiled once a month and sit in my gun safe.
cavrider
Grunt
Grunt

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby cavrider » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:32 pm

And thank you guys again for the help. Most places think im a fool for taking interest in the mosin nagants. Or being really rude to me because im asking some of the basics. You two have been the most help without any bs.
cavrider
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Well there are 2 schools of thought on this, IF it has collector value then don't refinish it. If you want to get the top dollar for a collector piece then leave it as it is, just keep it cleaned and oiled. I can't tell you how many threads I've read where some poor guy thinking he's doing the right thing by restoring the rifle gets a royal reaming from the purists out there.

According to what I've been able to find (hope I got this right) Soviet M44's 1944 are a 1 on the rarity scale. That's with 10 being the highest.

Now that being said, if you plan to keep it and shoot it and want to restore it by all means do so. I have seen some really beautiful restoration jobs on these rifles that have later sold for a good amount of money.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby cavrider » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:19 am

Ya, I'm thinking of just getting it back and doing a good degrease and oil down. And use a cloth to get all the small rust spots off. Right now I'm fighting with my gun smith. He is not letting me get any of the parts from him while he clean up the wood stock. So, now I get to bust down his door and demand my rifle back. And fyi, never deal with england arms and gunsmith in killeen tx. Lol
cavrider
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Marauder 1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:57 pm

I went back through the posts sorry I totally missed it was an M44, I thought we were dealing with an M91/30.. Ok senior moment over back to reality. Thanks DD for the backup. So are you planing or re doing the action? If your looking at a bluing job I would recommend having it done. If you want to do a duracoat finish that is also a good option. If neither of those works there is Oxpho Blu gel not the liquid but the Gel, and that works (as the English would say) a treat. Or really well in our terms.

If you really want to help the ol girl out you might want to look into a Timney trigger, that way you'll have a real safety and an adjustable trigger from 2 to 8 lbs. How is the bore? If it's dark I have some stuff that will really help that too.

Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Previous

Return to Barrel Markings and what they mean