It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:49 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Barrel Markings and what they mean

Hello my fellow California gun-lovers in an ungun friendly s

Want to know what some of those barrel markings mean? Look Here!

Hello my fellow California gun-lovers in an ungun friendly s

Postby beemaster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:32 am

The marking is just above Izzy arrow on the receiver - I'll draw it and photo it. I think it is a poorly centered stamp, part of the left seems unstruck.

The kite shaped cartouche could be:

Forgive me for this being my first post, I will get into the new member introduction section very soon and give you full details. But this one has me stumped this M44 is in excellent condition I'm just curious about this one cartouche because I have not seen it before, thank you.

Beemaster
Random avatar
beemaster

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 1 time

Re: Hello my fellow California gun-lovers in an ungun friend

Postby kermit » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:03 am

beemaster wrote:The marking is just above Izzy arrow on the receiver - I'll draw it and photo it. I think it is a poorly centered stamp, part of the left seems unstruck.

The kite shaped cartouche could be:

armory stamp for "been rearsenalled"
you can find this Xin a box on stocks, cleaning kit multi tools and antwhere when a satellite country did a rearsenal before storage of weapon to be used in WWIII.
kermit
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 70 times
Kudos  Received: 10 times

Re: Hello my fellow California gun-lovers in an ungun friend

Postby beemaster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:07 am

Thank you Kermit. I have seen the square box symbol with the single diagonal line from opposite corners many times. I knew that was a refurbished work, but Didn't see this before, thank you.

I started to mention I was from New Jersey, I'm not sure what happened but the sentence seem to be truncated. I believe New Jersey will be the battle ground for the second amendment, our state legislature is voting on assault like weapons which include a (believe it or not) Ruger 10/22 and other small varmint rifles. They are literally talking possible confiscation of such firearms and if this occurs our Gov. Chris Christie can say goodbye to any chance at his presidency run in the next election.

Although it has not got to the state senate yet, nor the governor for signing, the assembly has passed a 10 round restriction as in California. We are currently at 15 rounds, and I'm not sure how far these issues will go, but at the worst case scenario, we can see 10 round restrictions to go along with the myriad of laws we have already that are governed in New Jersey. But confiscation of any weapons will be the battle ground, and sadly I think it may be here.

Awesome forum guys, I am the owner and lead administrator of the world's number one ranked beekeeping forum according to Google. We are celebrating our 10th season as a forum with 120 countries and over 7000 members represented, not including over 3000 members on Facebook.

Interestingly, on a and other Mosin Nagant forum I was banned immediately because I didn't read the rules thoroughly, not understanding that any changes done to my rifles was the ultimate in sacrilege. I decided when I got my M44 that I was going to make it one-of-a-kind, and not one of 17 million. It was an incredible shape when I got it, rated excellent when presorted before going through buds gun shop, and I will give it "out-of-the-box" a very very good.

All I did was redo the stock and finish, completely down to natural wood grain, sand out any rough spots and stain with Minwax gunstock stain I fished with 3 weeks of patient love with boiled linseed oil and it looks incredible. Baliatol takes care of the metal work for me, I leave it soaking in that and then wipe it down to give it that incredible sheen and feel that I think only Balistol can give Metal.

I hope none of that is too offensive to anyone here, my gun is now my handiwork and it works beautifully. To have taken it out of the box, it would've been nice as a wall hanger although there were surface scratches through the varnish and shellac only stain deep that to me weren't necessary to have to look at - now is both visually and functional in top-notch condition.

Now I'm waiting for an SKS to arrive on Tuesday, it is a 1951 and has been packaged in a paraffin wax not a Cosmolene supposedly it cleans up much easier with much less residue to deal with. Wish me luck.

Thank you again for identifying the marking.
Random avatar
beemaster

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 1 time

Return to Barrel Markings and what they mean