It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:42 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Stocks and cartouche markings

Handwritten Stock serial number

Stock variations and markings

Handwritten Stock serial number

Postby DevilDog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:46 am

After stripping the paint off of the Green Mosin, while finishing the stock, I found this handwritten serial number :D
SN.jpg

SN_Close.jpg

Looks like the pencil took up some green dye from the paint job :lol:
This marking is consistent with "Russian Replacement Stocks" per 7.62x54R.net, and since this is a 'Force Match' , this would make sense.

The wood is quite beautiful, so this stock will remain un-modded.
IMG_3079.JPG

But that is OK, I have others!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Re: Handwritten Stock serial number

Postby ELMOUSMC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:37 am

I am not sure that this is the same thing-But I know that a lot of the M/Ns are imported as scrap and then reassembled as complete rifles,in most cases the bolt and reciever match but not always-To satisfy BATF regs all the #s on a rifle must match so out comes the electric pencil and bingo all matching #s
I was lucky enough to get a model 91 with all matching #s and an unissued Polish model 44 with all the #s matching-I have several 91/30s with all matching #s except for the magizine dump cover
ELMO
MMgunnery USMC 1965-1992
Sleep well tonight citzen for rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf-George Orwell
Random avatar
ELMOUSMC
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Handwritten Stock serial number

Postby Even11 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:17 pm

I have a Wz.48 trainer that has that also, not green though, just written in the barrel channel in pencil. Probably only neat to MN geeks like us. :ugeek: I know I think mine is cool! I'll see if I can get a picture.

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 72 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Return to Stocks and cartouche markings