It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

New Mosin Owners Discussion

Typical newbie to Mosin mistakes...oh well

Just purchased a Mosin Nagant and have questions about your gun? here is your area to ask!

Typical newbie to Mosin mistakes...oh well

Postby opos » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Howdy..new to the board and new to Mosins..not new to guns or to Milsurps in general but boy did I ever screw up..(not really that drastic..just thought I was smarter).

A little background..I'm an old duffer (75) and back in the 50's I owned lots of surplus rifles at one time or another..03's, 03a3's, 1917 Enfields, etc...got to know a lot about cosmolene and the like. Haven't messed with anything but revolvers for some 40 years now..I do reload for the handguns and used to reload for the rifles back "then".

I've seen Mosins for years in Big 5, etc and like many just sort of walked by. But a buddy who just bought a tract of land said we need a rifle to shoot..so keeping my eyes open I saw a 1943 Mosin with a scope (not a sniper set up...just added) for $200 on another board...I got in touch with the guy and he said it was clean, shot great and was ready to go.. So I went..talked to him...didn't take a bore light (first clue as to what's coming), etc...the scope mount is one of the cheap ones that has a bolt that goes throuh the front hole on the rear sight mount and was loose but figured I could tighten that up (second clue)...bore was really filthy but could see good rifling so figured I'd be ok. Guy said headspace was fine..all numbers match...wood is good and solid with no cracks, etc...bolt works fine. So I get it home and take some Kroil and give the bore a good "drenching" and let it sit...got a ton of gunk out of the bbl..then I see the counterbore. I didn't think much of the counter bore as I've had current handguns with a counterbore to save the crown. It's about a 1 1/2" bore or maybe 2"...Rifling is sharp but the grooves are really caked and the bore is very dark..Lands look fine and not badly pitted.

My issues before I give it to someone and go back to handguns are: Is the counter bore and dark (with good rifling) a cut and run issue or can anything be done (or even need to be done) with it? It is getting cleaner with every patch/brush/patch time but I'm afraid I may not live long enough to really get it clean and may never get it to shine. Other thing is the cheapo scope mount...The scope is fine but I'd like to not mess with the rock and roll mount..I don't want to drill and tap and this would just be for a plinker..is there a simple scope mount that works or should I just pick up another stock open rear sight from Ebay?

Any help to an old guy that's new..that has no sense for what's right or wrong? I think I should have just gone to Big 5 and laid down the $150 or whatever...in any case no big deal...it's a part of history and looks good in the corner..

Thanks
opos
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Re: Typical newbie to Mosin mistakes...oh well

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Well first off welcome, A dark bore is not a huge deal, in many cases you can shoot it clean and then go from there. You might try a product from Smith and Wesson called Bore Gel. I've used that with much success. You can also use some Never Dull polish after that to get a little more shine out of it.

I wouldn't worry to much about the counter bore either. In fact a lot of the counter bored rifles shoot really well. The scope mount is as far as most if us will say makes for a good paper weight. You could upgrade to a TGR scout mount and use the same scope and not be out to much.

Hope you hang on to her and bring her back to a decent shooter.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby opos » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks for the reply...can a pair of high mount 1 " rings be mounted directly to the dovetail under the rear sight mount? I have some eye problems and a scope is good for me...if the TGR is a lot better than just plain dovetail rings mounted directly I can do that...I ordered some gel...I usually can use Kroil on nasty metal things and may try more and a longer wait time...I know it works wonders on leading in my revolvers...

Got another quick question about the Mosin...I've heard pro and con on whether it's necessary to have headspace checked...I've heard that a matching number rifle is probably going to be ok...wen the bolt closes it closes very tightly and positively and when I put a round in it the bolt closes easily so I'd imagine the "go" part of the headspacing is probably fine...Not asking anyone to go out on a limb liability wise....I know my actions are strictly mine and nothing anyone might say would place them in any liability to me at all...I just have a problem imagining that all the guns Big 5 and Turners and others sell have to go through the headspacing process...I'd prefer not to buy gauges if possible or if just a field gauge would work ok I might do that.

thanks
opos
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Postby kermit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:58 am

i have gauges and can show you how to check head space and firing pin protrusion on mosin nagant rifle. ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................why do i always get too few letters i your post?????
kermit
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 70 times
Kudos  Received: 10 times

Return to New Mosin Owners Discussion