It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

New Mosin Owners Discussion

Need help picking out a good Mosin...

Just purchased a Mosin Nagant and have questions about your gun? here is your area to ask!

Need help picking out a good Mosin...

Postby Grob » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:28 am

Hi Guys,
I’ve been looking at some Mosin’s aiming to make my first rifle purchase. I’ve looked at a handful and have a couple of questions…
Of the ones I’ve looked at, three had stuck bolts. The other two had bolts that slid back really easily, with some slop in the movement (I could jiggle the bolt slightly) is that sort of jiggle normal? I was thinking that the bolt would be a snug fit.

Either way, examining the bore was impossible. Either I couldn’t move the bolt or the barrel was somewhat obstructed with cosmo. This means that I’m left with buying one pretty much based on outward appearance.
It just doesn’t feel right to do that…is that what everyone else is doing??? I’m looking for a project – so it will be a shooter and a good bore is important to me.

Do I just go ahead and pick one I like? How bad can they be? I read posts outlining what a good bore looks like, then one saying that a dark bore cleaned up just fine, then one where a dark bore shoots just great.

I’m eager to get past this and get into my project, so any advice would be appreciated!
Random avatar
Grob

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Need help picking out a good Mosin...

Postby DevilDog » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 am

I guess the question is, where are you shopping. From what you describe, it sounds like Big5. Of all the retailers, they are the worst IMO. I do not know if you can return a Mosin to them if it has problems.

Cabela's also sells Mosin's in their stores, or you could go for an online auction at Gunbroker.

Checking for matching serial numbers means all parts were armored to the rifle and have a better chance of functioning properly.

Stiff bolts are typical, stuck ones are not. If it cannot be cycled and inspected, I would not buy it. Headspace should be checked in anything showing excessive wear or with mismatched numbers.

Strong rifling and an absence of pitting in the bore are desired, take a small inspection flashlight with you.

If these things cannot be checked, buying it would be a risk. We can help fix many issues, just post if you are having trouble.

Welcome aboard and good luck!
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Return to New Mosin Owners Discussion