It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:35 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

New Mosin Owners Discussion

Shooting with a bayonet

Just purchased a Mosin Nagant and have questions about your gun? here is your area to ask!

Shooting with a bayonet

Postby r1ctor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:40 pm

I've heard these old rifles were sighted with the bayonets on. I forgot to bring mine to the range last time but I'm bringing it for sure next time. Does anyone have any personal experience with shooting mosin with and without the bayonet?

I've heard that it alters the grouping but i don't understand how it would... barrel harmonics?
thanks,
Patrick
Random avatar
r1ctor
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Shooting with a bayonet

Postby elbysvcs » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:26 pm

My 91/30 shoots the same with or without, my understanding it's only the M44 that the bayo affects. I know my T53 shoots a group that looks like a shotgun with the bayo folded back!
Random avatar
elbysvcs
Marksman
Marksman

Postby joiner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:04 am

My m-44 seems to hold a tighter group when the bayonet is folded out. I know the rifle shoots high and to the right so I compensate by aming low and to the left. Have been able to hit baseball size targets at 50m. Good enough for me.
Random avatar
joiner
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:44 am

I'm wondering if it has something to do with balance in the case of the M44 and extra weight in the case of M91/30. The extra weight on the barrel might be taming some of the barrel whip. With a carbine however that shorter barrel doesn't suffer as much from whip but the lighter weight does increase the recoil.

Just a thought, I've heard it also has something to do with barrel harmonics but I'm also unclear on that.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby revjen45 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:29 am

The point where the rifle is looking is not necessarily the same as where it will shoot. When the sear breaks and the bullet starts traveling down the barrel recoil forces move the rifle back and the muzzle up, so POI is where it was aiming when the bullet left the muzzle. Having the bayonet extended puts weight in front of the muzzle, thus affecting that movement. Harmonics probably play some role in accuracy (Browning made some rifles with a weight at the muzzle that could be moved by screwing it fore and aft to achieve the harmonics that gave the best accuracy) but I would bet that weight distribution is the major factor in determining POA vs POI.
Random avatar
revjen45

Postby bearrowland » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:59 pm

elbysvcs wrote:My 91/30 shoots the same with or without, my understanding it's only the M44 that the bayo affects. I know my T53 shoots a group that looks like a shotgun with the bayo folded back!

Ditto with my 43 Izhevsk.
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Return to New Mosin Owners Discussion