It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:11 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

New Mosin Owners Discussion

1944 Tula ex-sniper problems

Just purchased a Mosin Nagant and have questions about your gun? here is your area to ask!

1944 Tula ex-sniper problems

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:56 am

Well my 1944 Tula ex sniper is giving me grief this weekend. So here is my story. I purchased this from Big 5 about a year ago, the rifle has tons of cartouches and was at one point the pride of the Russian sniper core. But the first time I took it to the range it was a bear (no pun intended) to cycle.

It was cleaned and put away for a while because I had other rifles to work on. This weekend I decided I wanted to see what was up with this rifle. I tried to cycle an expended case and the round would not seat. In fact every case I stuck in came out with a nasty gouge in it. OK I thought there is a burr in there. So I do find a burr and work several hours to carefully remove it. Now the round will seat without damaging the case but the bolt still won't close.

OK maybe the extractor is off, so I use a different bolt head and remove the extractor. Still no joy. Now I'm thinking head spacing issues. I don't have a set of gauges and I only have one spare bolt head and it mics longer than the original so that's already a no go.

I guess I could work this one down with a stone but I have no clue how much to remove. I'm open to ideas here.. I might just have to take a drive to Ventura and take it to a gunsmith.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: 1944 Tula ex-sniper problems

Postby Chenko » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Mark, where are you?
I have Okie Gauges
Chenko
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks for the kind offer Chenko, I just bought a set. I'm still going to order some spare bolts heads and other parts so I don't have this issue again. The bolt heads without the extractor are cheap.

Thanks again
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby chuck91/30 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:26 am

hi Mark, I just came across your entry, this is a problem that crops up with 91/30s. I have a beautiful 1932 Ishvest oct receiver sniper and had the same problem. It turned out to be a faulty extractor, it had was slightly off causing exactly the same problems with feeding. I fitted another after polishing it up and all is well with feeding. Another thing that causes problems is the mag interupter/ejector. This can cause mis-feeds and jams, I replaced this as well. I have been shooting M-Ns since the late 60s with right loads they are very accurate, I can get head- shots on our fig11 man targets at 300- 400 yards easily. If you need any other help on Moisins drop me a line.
Regards,
Charles (charles.a.ward@hotmail.co.uk)
Random avatar
chuck91/30
Grunt
Grunt

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Return to New Mosin Owners Discussion