It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

New Mosin Owners Discussion

Magwell interface with receiver

Just purchased a Mosin Nagant and have questions about your gun? here is your area to ask!

Magwell interface with receiver

Postby bob138 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi,

New member here from VA. Sorry for interloping in sunny Cali but you seem to have one of the few gun forums that have open minded people in regard to destroying that 1 in a billion ultra-valuable antique I scored at the gun shop for $150. :lol:

So I am looking into building a custom stock and I'm hoping I can cheat a bit in regard to bore alignment. When looking at a receiver there is a flat section where the magazine interfaces. It appears to be fairly level. Does anyone know if it is parallel to the bore?

If so that would make my life a lot simpler as I am hoping on using a similar mounting system as DevilDog's SASS. So knowing a simple point of reference to bore angle would be nice.

Thanks
Bob
Random avatar
bob138

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Magwell interface with receiver

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Your not interloping you are more than welcome here. The name does not mean we are exclusive to Cali just where it all started. We have users from all over the world here.

Have you tried using a laser level to see if you have a straight line from tag to barrel end? If you center the laser on both it should bisect the mag area if it is centered.

Again welcome
Mark aka Marauder 1
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby bearrowland » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 am

Bob, welcome aboard! You will see the whole spectrum on M/N activity here, from the collectibles to the downright awesome modders!
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby iridium-192 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:39 am

Welcome to the forum with open minded modders! Great place made by great people! :)
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 326 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby PRegner » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:58 am

bob138 wrote:Hi,

New member here from VA. Sorry for interloping in sunny Cali but you seem to have one of the few gun forums that have open minded people in regard to destroying that 1 in a billion ultra-valuable antique I scored at the gun shop for $150. :lol:

:D I know how you feel. There are other boards focusing on Mosins, but the second a member mentions modifying their rifle it raises much lamenting in anguish, gnashing of teeth in bitter rage, uttering of rash oaths, wailing, rending of garments and angry choruses of the epithet "*****". You won't find any of that here.

As far as your question goes, while I don't have an immediate answer, it occurs to me that in order to determine if the bottom of the receiver is parallel with the centerline of the bore all you would need to do is secure the barreled action in a padded vise. then I would use a dowel rod of sufficient length to run from the chamber to a few inches beyond the muzzle. Then, using a level or an angle finder compare the measurement from the protruding rod from the muzzle (ensuring that the rod is laying flat in the bore while taking the measurement), and the bottom of the receiver.

I hope this helps, and happy modding of your Mosin! :thumbup:

Edit: LOL!!! When I posting this reply, I noticed that the forum software censured the word "B U B B A". If that isn't an affirmation that modifying your Mosin is an acceptable practice around here, then I don't know what is. :D
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
PRegner
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 15 times

Postby bob138 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

PRegner and Maurauder1, That I figured I could work it out with some dowels and measurements but I was hoping that this had already been done and it was a known deal.

Got out today with my mosin and put 20 rounds of surplus through it with the iron sights. Shoots about 12" to the right and about 6" high. Last 5 shots grouped at 5.5" In stock furniture and off a seated table with a sand bag. It feels like it's worth trying to get a scope on it. Especially if I can pull off a full custom stock like DevilDog, even if my barrel and receiver are no good I'm only a couple hundred dollars away from a good shooting mosin to put into it. Gonna have to order one of those utg shotgun rails and start with measurements.
Random avatar
bob138

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:11 am

The right left issue is easy to adjust, they will all shoot high as well out of the box due to the difference between yards and meters. I'll find the post for my sight removal and adjustment tool I bought I works great and makes adjustment so easy.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Return to New Mosin Owners Discussion