It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:56 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

New Mosin Owners Discussion

Barrel Lengths - Accuracy - Distance

Just purchased a Mosin Nagant and have questions about your gun? here is your area to ask!

Barrel Lengths - Accuracy - Distance

Postby Grindl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 pm

I apologize if this gets a bit long ; but I've read many posts regarding barrel lengths , distance and accuracy . And though I've come to realize that each rifle is different due to wear , cleaning and a ga-zillion other factors , I'm at the point of making a decision on the "best" length to cut mine as my build progresses. And the barrel has been counter-bored approx one and one sixteenth inches.
I have a 1943 Izzy ; with a surprisingly beautiful bore , and I haven't "slugged it yet , but will do so. My build is as follows : A Archangel stock. I've selected a Vortex,Crossfire- II,6x24x50 w/BDC reticule. And RSI is doing my Bolt and I am using the MI-24 RSI long rail scope mount.I beleive in the "K-I-S-S" theory , and want this to be a very "serviceable" piece.
My objective is to build a "Mid-range" Field gun with six to eight inch grouping at a maxium of 800 yards using better grade commericial ammo , such as PPU-182gr.,and the better 203 gr. selections.
With these parameters; I'm leaning towards 24 inches and re-crowning with a slight recess cut,11 degree "Comp" crown . Since I live in Arizona and dust is a constant "issue" when firing prone in the field , I've chosen a TPP muzzle brake (AR10 style)threaded to 5/8-24, strictly for countering the ground blast.
I would really appreciate having feed-back from any and all as to suggestions and reccommendations to be able to acheive this build .
I will evole to re-loading to match a "tight" load for her , and finances willing , I will be doing a Straight Jacket next year.
Just another "old guy" on a semi-fixed income ,tryin to prove to some "shootin" buddies that a high-grade field gun doesn't have to have a mega-bucks price tag. Am I on the right track ? :think:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Barrel Lengths - Accuracy - Distance

Postby Grimstod » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:59 pm

First don't use a 11 degree crown use a target crown. Because the bore in these guns are never centered a 11 degree will give you big issues when working up a load or selecting bullets.

For length the only thing you need to cut off is bad bore. So keep as much as you can. I used to be a proponent of 22in barrels but not anymore.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:54 pm

I have 4, a 20",24",25",26"...as far as accuracy goes, how it slugs will be a big part of that and barrel length doesn't affect that...each one of mine will hold very tight groups no matter the length...the length will only affect muzzle velocity...hand loading will help you out.
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby nowake » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:48 pm

I looked at this durnin my barrel cutin study.

http://honors.usf.edu/documents/thesis/u82488180.pdf

little long, but cool thesis.
nowake
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 7 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Gamecock24 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Welcome to the board. As far as muzzel brakes check out http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com these guys are affordable and work for recoil reductions. I however cannot comment on how they perform in a dusty environment the only time I shot with one their brakes it was from a bench.
Gamecock24
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 182 times
Kudos  Received: 160 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1)
Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:50 pm

nowake wrote:I looked at this durnin my barrel cutin study.

http://honors.usf.edu/documents/thesis/u82488180.pdf

little long, but cool thesis.

That file is also in our download section here.

Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Return to New Mosin Owners Discussion