It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

New Mosin Owners Discussion

New to the Site and new to the Mosin

Just purchased a Mosin Nagant and have questions about your gun? here is your area to ask!

New to the Site and new to the Mosin

Postby Elevatedconcept » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Good evening guys and girls,
My name is Jason and I recently found and purchased my first Mosin 91/30 Hex Tula so I thought it was time to get on the site since I will be tearing the Rifle down to inspect it make changes etc.

I am from Orange County and the rifle was purchased from a nice older man from the east coast. The rifle has the following modifications as purchased.

Archangel stock
RSI Scope mount
Bent Bolt Handle
Timney trigger

I was able to see the rifle when it arrived at my FFL dealer, everything appears to be in decent shape and it appears the rifle was stripped down and cleaned with no sight of Cosmoline. The bore seems to look bright and the receiver appears to be in decent shape. The only hiccup I noticed was that who ever bent the bolt handle left welding remnants and splatter on the body itself which has me a little nervous.

The RSI mount seems to be tapped and secured correctly.

I guess the point of my thread was both to introduce myself and to ask advice from you trusty owners on what other things I should check and fix or replace that would make my first shooting session an enjoyable one.

I planned on making a call to RSI to pick there brain but figured the same could be accomplished here!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Jason
Random avatar
Elevatedconcept

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: New to the Site and new to the Mosin

Postby jaysny87 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:07 pm

Welcome from Texas!

The best way to evaluate the bolt body welding splatter you mentioned would be for you to post a picture if you could. The only concern would be that if the welding was done by someone who doesn't know what they are doing they could have compromised the steels strength by letting it get too hot while welding. but odds are the old fella you purchased the rifle from was shooting it and its safe. Also it could be a rock solid industries bent bolt handle (or one of the other manufacturers) that just had a little splatter on it that they never removed. i know when i bought one from RSI i had to clean it up a little bit when i received it.

anyways welcome and enjoy the plethora of information contained on the site!
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Return to New Mosin Owners Discussion