It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:37 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Aftermarket Parts

S and K scope base/mount

Stocks, Scopes, Triggers and more..

S and K scope base/mount

Postby opos » Fri May 31, 2013 6:08 am

Has anyone used the S and K scope base mount (either with the weaver style ring set up or with the S and K ring set up? I cannot use a Brass Stacker with the rear sight set up I have...trust me I've checked all resources and it's way too much difficult work for me so I have to look for alternatives to mounting a Scout Scope set up on my 91-30...Any comments on the S and K much appreciated...it looks like they have a decent mount and a decent system for controlling recoil movement...

Many thanks

opos
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Re: S and K scope base/mount

Postby Grimstod » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:17 am

Can you post a link to the product? I think some of our users have but your description sounds a little confusing.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 287 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby opos » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:26 am

Grimstod wrote:Can you post a link to the product? I think some of our users have but your description sounds a little confusing.

Here's a link as to how it is installed..this shows on a 44 but it installs on any of the 91-30's in the same basic manner....look at the "adaptor" (image 8) that is involved that allows a large hex head screw /bolt to lock the unit down in to the sight base as well as the small screws that go through where the sight leaf pins had been on the front...the S and K also has a couple of leveling screws..I thought it looked fairly improved over many of the bases on the market. I have Weaver rings on my long eye relief scope so I ordered the model that does not have the special S and K rings and I'll use my Weaver's.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/skm ... /index.asp

The second link is to the S and K web site and if you look under the "ex military" you will see the various Mosin model mounts.

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

I got no ties with S an d K. I was going to try and adapt one of the cheapie rails or try one of the rails that go on the dovetail after sweating off the sight base but it all got a bit complex and after finding that the Brass Stacker was going to be too much for my skills and tools...this one looked like a good alternative. I've got one ordered...can't find any reviews of one...when I get it and mount it, etc...I'll try and take some pictures and do a little wright up on it and maybe put it on the web. Guys at S and K were helpful and seemed to know what I was talking about when I asked...so we'll see
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Grimstod » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 am

Ok yes we do have a few users that have those. I have not seen them on here in some time though. This does look like a good way to scout mount a scope. I like reversible stuff cause you can preserve your rifle an enjoy it too.

Please do write something up. We would be very interested in it. There is no end to the need for more info on anything mosin.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHSyOJ9dQY[/BBvideo]
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby Grimstod » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:55 am

Here is one of my favorites. This looks like so much fun :D

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eqG5GJRies[/BBvideo]
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby opos » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:48 pm

Grimstod wrote:Ok yes we do have a few users that have those. I have not seen them on here in some time though. This does look like a good way to scout mount a scope. I like reversible stuff cause you can preserve your rifle an enjoy it too.

Please do write something up. We would be very interested in it. There is no end to the need for more info on anything mosin.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHSyOJ9dQY[/BBvideo]

The mount on "nutin fancy" "arctic ops" looks like it might just be the S and K mount with the S and K rings (not the weaver set up)...it's got all the looks and the 2 holes on the side by the rings look like the locking set screws for the S and K rings. I know that Nuttin fancy did do a brass stacker review but I got a feeling what he's using in the arctic ops vid is, in fact the S and K with their mounts. I'll get it all mounted when I get it and give it a good work out...I have a ton of the heavy Ball 55-10 Bulgarian brass case ammo that is supposed to be just a tad "hot" so that should give it a good test. As I said I could have gotten the Brass Stacker (my first choice of what I had seen up to the time I found the S and K) but my base had no pin mounting holes through the barrel dove tail and drilling through the base and through the dovetail without canting things (I have no mill or drill press) would probably have made one heck of a mess....I think the tie down adapter that slips into the spring recess in the sight base is a really slick idea and looks like it really ties things down well...we'll see.
Thanks for all the input.
opos
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Postby opos » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:03 am

Bought and installed the S and K mount and it is absolutly solid and un moving....I watched a video of an installation where the guy had some issues and turns out he had not properly tightened the mounting screws in the proper sequence...when he went back and did that it absolutly held zero and was "bullet proof"....I'm just about 30 rounds in after boresighting and zeroing but it's not moved at all...the thing that makes it work is the special adapter that locks into place in the Mosin rear sight base...under the little lip where the spring came out....and it's solid as can be. Very satisfied..this solved a problem with out having to do a bunch of drilling and messing around with other mounts...my mount did not have the 2 pins to hold the rear sight base on so I'd have had to drill both the base and the barrel dove tail to use the stacker mount so I had to look elsewhere...just a bit different application than some.

I'm a definite thumbs up on this one.
opos
Random avatar
opos
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Grimstod » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:34 pm

Good to hear. Thanks for the reveiw. I just may be in for one of these myself someday. I have a few Mosins I do not want to modd in any permanent ways.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby Mike 56 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 am

I have a Darrel scout mount on my 91/30 it sets about as high as the S and K mount with low rings its not bad. I have be seeing guys on other forums removing the 91/30 sight bases. Under the base there is a 3/8 dove tail. You can mount a EER scope to it with 3/8 22/airgun rings or bases with the right rings or mounts you can mount a scope right on the deck. Some people complain about the rings moving forward from recoil. I think if you use good rings or mounts that won't be a problem. If you are a tinkerer you can buy a cheap NcStar scout mount. Replace the front screws with good quality screws and drill and tap the rear of the sight base to secure it. If the base is not thick enough you could solder or epoxy a nut to the under side of the sight base. Here is a link for a M39 i ordered i think you could do the same kind of thing with a 91/30 sight base. Here ia a pic of my 91/30 scout rifle with a Darrel mount and a 4x NcStar EER scope.

Random avatar
Mike 56

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:26 am

Ken at Rock Solid is about to introduce a new style scout mount. I don't know when I can get a photo of it, but IraqVeterian888 is doing a review of it as we speak.

So far the test results are awesome.

Also TGR Brass Stacker has a new 3 point system they are about to introduce based on their Mauser scope mount setup. I'll see if I can get some info on that as well.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Aftermarket Parts