It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:34 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Hunters

Deer Hunting with my M44

Use your Mosin Nagant for hunting, tell us your stories...

Deer Hunting with my M44

Postby mouser868 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 am

Decided that morning back in November 2006 to try to make things look official ad go up behind the pond and hunt. The reason I say this, most of my deer hunting is done from the front yard. So I get out there before daylight and go up the hill on the South side of the pond to watch the hillside on the North side of the pond, the deer cross there every year about half way up the hill, so I figured it was a good spot to wait. On top of the hill is my uncles house by the way. Well this particular year the deer decided to switch things up a bit and crossed the top of the hill sky lined so there was no shot, stopped in front of my uncles living room window so there was no shot, and stayed sky lined for their entire journey across the hill. I sat there for about another hour, by then it was about 8:30 and said screw it I'm going back to the house, so I did. I think at the time I was playing video games don't remember now which it was and got up to get a drink. As I walk over to the sink in the kitchen I look out the window and there was a 4 point buck on it's way across the field, so I opened the window and shot the deer with the M44 using Silver Bear 203gr SP ammo and the deer dropped in its tracks. Shot was about 80 yards. What makes this story kinda funny, Mom was down in Grandmas house looking out the door on the back porch and when I talked to her she told me she saw the puff of smoke, heard the gun go off and saw the deer drop. The next day I was down at Grandmas house working on Dad's Jeep he had at the time and I told him I was gonna go up to the house and get something to eat, similar scenario, I looked out the kitchen window and a doe was walking the same trail as the buck but going the opposite direction. This time however since she was going the other way I went out the back door to intercept her as she crossed the drive way but she had turned around. So as she was walking I shot her and she took off running and when she jumped the ditch about 20 yards, she evidently ran outta gas because she hit the ground spread eagled and that's how she was when I found her. What makes this funny is that I told dad I was going to get something to eat, I just didn't tell him how much. I have since retired the M44 because I feel it's paid for itself.
Random avatar
mouser868
Grunt
Grunt

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time
Medals: 1
Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Hunters