It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:23 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

Firing Pin Spring - A Different Direction for Competition

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

Firing Pin Spring - A Different Direction for Competition

Postby Grindl » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:01 pm

As many here know ; I've shot my M-N in competition for several years now . With the assistance of David Fair at Coyote Creek Armory , Dave Manson of Manson Reamer fame , and of course Ken at RSI , We have developed a Mosin Target Rifle that can stand beside anything out there . But I was still having a issue with "Trigger Pull" , that was causing scoring issues .

No matter what ; I couldn't get my trigger pull below about a pound and a half , and it was hurting my scores , due to pulling the gun "off target" thru the "pull" .

After several visits to the Timney factory here in Phoenix , the trigger was set to it's lowest allowable , of 1-1/4lbs. , but still not enough . After spending some time studying the trigger bar / sear / bolt release , I came to the conclusion that there was only one solution to the problem . Reduce the firing pin spring pressure .

I had several stock F/P springs , so they became my Guinea Pigs . I carefully ground off one coil off of each end of the spring , making sure that the end was flat . Re-assembled the bolt , and off to the Range . It was a improvement , but I could still "FEEL" the trigger bar dragging , as it released the bolt .

One worked , two should be better , so off came the second coil on both ends of the spring . Re-assemble , and back to the Range . Bingo ! A near perfect 200 - 18X at 200 yrds . And the trigger pull was down below 8oz.

SO ; if you have a Timney trigger in your M-N , and you're unhappy with the heavy trigger pull , and inconsistent POI , try this "Mod" , but be careful about a potential "Slam Fire" situation , and make your changes carefully .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 201 times
Kudos  Received: 150 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Firing Pin Spring - A Different Direction for Competitio

Postby farmerboy78 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:38 am

This is good to know, the timney feels great, but definitely has room for improvement
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 96 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby bearrowland » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:21 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 107 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby Fung_13 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:37 am

...... definitely storing this under needed mods!!!!

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 42 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:04 pm

After several more trips to the range for testing , I could only get on the 100 yard range , but I've found this "Mod" to become very consistent with improved scoring and tighter groups . As soon as we get past this corona stuff in the next few weeks , I'll get back on the Berger Range at 600 and have more , and better feed-back for everyone . Waiting impatiently ..... I can state that trigger pull has gotten smoother , for my application , and I'd like to remind anyone doing this again , to be cautious when making this "Mod" . Too much of any good thing can go bad , as in a slam-fire situation . And I have another wrinkle I'm playing with , but want to make absolutely sure of it , before putting it out . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 201 times
Kudos  Received: 150 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Mosin Tech