It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:17 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

Firing pin springs

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

Firing pin springs

Postby Deathsythe311 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:57 pm

The other day I was trying to figure out why I still have a hard bolt cycle on a 42 izzy mosin of mine. I have done everything of IV8888 video, even hand polished the bolt, and the thing still cycles like crap. I took it apart again and I mixed up the firing pin spring from my m39 by accident and it cycled super smooth. So my question is if this is the issue, do any of you guys have any experience with RSI firing pin spring replacement and if they are m39 quality? I have the bolts and the scopes mounts and pretty much all their stuff just not that. Let me know what you guys think.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 37 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Re: Firing pin springs

Postby Marauder 1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:52 pm

I do, I developed them.. They are made to a better spec and if I do say so myself make a huge improvement in the bolt. They improve the lock and cycling right out of the package but once they "set" the bolt will cycle even better. I worked for many months getting the right balance of poundage to performance.

I've put them in all my rifles
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:45 am

I can attest to the RSI spring being a outstanding piece . I have them in two of my bolts . Smooth and the right amount of pressure to lock it down , when closed .
Lots of "Good on ya", Mark . For the time and effort to develop this spring . I just sent another bolt to Ken for my new build , and it will also have their spring put in it . :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:09 pm

Thanks Grindl:
It took many hours of work to get that where it is. I have some prototypes I'm working on now for another spring. That would be for reloaded ammo primers only. It may be available sometime next year.

I also developed a new K31 firing pin spring for RSI as well as their Mosin Trigger Shoe.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Now you have my attention . Why a different spring for reloaded ammo primers ? I've shot 80-90% reloads at 1,000 yds. for most of the last year or so and haven't seen any issues that would require a different spring .

I use both Winchester standard LR primers , and BR-2 primers in these loads , and haven't had any problems . I inspect my fired cases / primers for depth of penetration , watching carefully for any signs of over-penetration , or primer case puncturing . Am I missing something ?

Have the trigger shoes on both my Timney's , also . Even pressure and clean feel to the "Break" . Nice . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Well because reload primers are not as hard as surplus I had to make a few compromises with poundage. If your shooting reloads you can make the spring differently (trying not to tip my hand here to much) It's truly a balancing act. I had many failures along the way that's for sure.

The shoe idea came from an article I read many years ago where long range completion guys were using trigger shoes to make their stock triggers feel lighter. I thought I would revisit it with a modern approach. I really liked how it almost forced my finger into the proper location and it made the Timney feel even better on the break.

Well more Mosin goodies to develop.
Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Marauder 1 wrote:Well because reload primers are not as hard as surplus I had to make a few compromises with poundage. If your shooting reloads you can make the spring differently (trying not to tip my hand here to much) It's truly a balancing act. I had many failures along the way that's for sure.

The shoe idea came from an article I read many years ago where long range completion guys were using trigger shoes to make their stock triggers feel lighter. I thought I would revisit it with a modern approach. I really liked how it almost forced my finger into the proper location and it made the Timney feel even better on the break.

Well more Mosin goodies to develop.
Seeya
Mark

I like the shoe idea. My Mosin trigger is great but it is kinda sharp on the edges. A shoe should make it even more comfortable.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Mosin Tech