It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

How clean is your bore?

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

Re: How clean is your bore?

Postby PRegner » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Another vote here for the Never-Dull. Mosin bores aren't chrome plated, but you can make them shine like they are. The Never Dull will even cut cosmoline stains.

For day-to-day cleaning however, I use Ed's Red. It's a home-brew bore cleaner based on the old Frankford Arsenal recipe consisting of equal parts each of:

Sperm whale oil
Turpentine
Acetone
Kerosene

Since sperm whale oil (or any whale oil for that matter) has been banned for use in anything in the U.S. since sometime in the sixties, Dexron III automatic transmission fluid is substituted in it's place. Apparently, in the fifties and early sixties automatic transmission oil was largely whale oil based. The Dexron is a good substitute as it also contains other surfactants that make it useful for use in firearms. If a firearm is being prepared for long-term storage, lanoline can also be added.

I've found that the Ed's Red works great and will not harm metal finishes in any way, cutting through everything but copper fouling; for that I took a tip from an Army technical manual for the 1903 Springfield (TM 9-1270) and I use janitorial strength ammonia (it must be at least 10% ammonium hydroxide), readily available at most hardware stores. Be careful with the ammonia however, as it can stain blued finishes. All that is needed is to moisten a patch and run it through the bore, immediately wiping away any that gets on the outside. Repeat the process until the patch ceases to come out with a green tint.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
PRegner
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 15 times

Postby Fung_13 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:17 pm

I'm afraid! tomorrow I finally get my bore scoped and see how bad the bore is. I can see what looks to be pitted badly but tomorrow's the day I find out. Will post pictures either here or most likely on my build thread.
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 34 times
Kudos  Received: 26 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Fung_13 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:03 am

So here are the results of my barrel scope not pretty. They are not for the faint of heart. It has been cleaned 3 times since the last time I fired surplus ammo thru it and again last night after I saw the result of the scope. I am going to clean and never dull the barrel this weekend then put a coat of oil and light coat it at least once a month. Again viewer discretion is advised. :oops: :oops:

http://www.socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5670
Do all you do to the best of your ability for you never know who's watching.

Aim small, miss small
Fung_13
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 34 times
Kudos  Received: 26 times
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Grindl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:39 pm

OK,Guys...Since I first read about the S&W Bore Gel , I have been looking high & low for it with "No joy". Has it been taken off the market by the Evironmental "Prosecution" Agency ?
If anyone has a source for accquiring this miracle substance , I would sure like to get some of it, because like the Miltec-1, it has "got" to be in the cleaning box. HELP...... :lol:
If it has been removed from the market , is there a substitute product that can fill the bill, or come close ? Anybody ?
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Yep it appears to be discontinued BUT there is another product I'm currently working on a review for and that is M-Pro 7 Bore Gel. So far the results are just as good as S&W Bore Gel. BUT I'll leave that for the video.

here is the link
M Pro 7 Bore Gel

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks, Mark. Was begining to think I was in a alternative universe. All of the cleaning,care & Maintainence info on this site has been dead on , and it's fantastic to have access to a site that isn't "controlled" by a bunch of mental-midget facists.
I spent about five minutes with the GWRRA because of the egos and snide attitudes, and coming here is a breath of fresh air , with a site full of people willing to bend over back-wards to help anyone who asks. Out-freakin-standing ! Thanks to all the members. I'll try to hold up my end of that attitude as a member also .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks for the props, My moderators and I appreciate the sentiment. We have a great group of guys, we may not be the most active forum but that's because we don't have all the garbage that other sites do. Sorry for the delay in posting that I've been busy developing the Roku TV channel to go with this forum. That M Pro stuff is outstanding. They have a great selection of products.
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Previous

Return to Mosin Tech