It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:55 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

How clean is your bore?

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

Re: How clean is your bore?

Postby tdocz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 pm

How comparable is Dry Lub to Bore Gel? I hadn't heard of the former product.
tdocz
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 12 times
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Postby tdocz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:20 pm

I looked it up. Dry Lube isn't a bore cleaner. I guess I am a little confused about your post, Grimstod. :?:

Regardless, welcome to the brotherhood of Mosin Nagant owners and modders. Cheers! 8-)
tdocz
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Grimstod » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Oops your right its not :oops:
I will have to ask my brother what it does. It belongs to him. I borrowed it to try it out.

Thanks for the welcome. I am learning fast here.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Here is what I've found with the Bore Gel, first treatment you need to leave it in a long time. I did 45 minutes, it's not corrosive so it doesn't hurt anything. Then I cleaned it out and did it again. I think I ended up doing 5 treatments. 60 years of junk takes a while to leach out of the metal. The other thing I think makes it work better is when the barrel is warm. Not hot just warmed with a heat gun. When I did that on mine it was summer time and the air temp was around 100. Open pours in warm metal metal release junk better than cold ones.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby tdocz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:00 pm

I finally got some Bore Gel. I tried it in my 91/30 last night and this morning. Yuck, a lot of crud came oozing out of my old bore. I applied it the first time for 40 min, at 70degF. Then applied a 2nd treatment overnight, same temp. This morning, my patch came out a beautiful, oozing and dark copper(II) hydroxide blue. Or was it copper(II) chloride? I digress...

So I treated the bore again for about 30 min before heading in to work. Again the patch came out a dark blue. I suspect it is the cleaner reacting to the copper in the brass bore brush.

At this point, I am certain my 91/30 bore is much cleaner than before applying the Bore Gel. Unfortunately, my bore itself is still dark in color and not the least bit shiny. I'll try a few more passes with the cleaner, in the next couple days possibly with heat, before I make a final assessment. However, I suspect that my bore was probably treated sufficiently poorly, before I bought it, and had much too many corrosive rounds through it, without proper cleaning, that it will never have a mirror shine like Marauder1's. Bummer. Who knows? Maybe it will shoot tighter groups now (not that it was a bad shooter before)... One can only hope. :grin:
tdocz
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:35 pm

OK now go shoot it and do it again then get some never dull and swab the bore with that. That never dull is awesome stuff as well. The problem is the cosmoline has stained the metal. It will get better now that you've removed the other stuff. It took 60 years to get that dark but it will come back if you keep working it.
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby tdocz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks, Mark. What is Never Dull? I've never heard of the stuff. Sounds promising, though.
tdocz
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:05 pm

You can get Never Dull at WalMart, it's made by Eagle and is a metal polish. It comes in a can and looks like cotton wadding. You pull a hunk off and put on a shotgun patch holder for your cleaning rod and then run that stuff down the barrel. It works pretty well. Ken at Rock Solid Industries told me this tip. You'll need to use a lot of elbow grease but it will slowly bring things back.

Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:45 pm

wow, that seems like a great bore cleaner... i have a recipe that seems to work well also, even with corrosive ammo...i began with a 2 qt white vinegar jug with about 1/4 qt of white vinegar left inside, i added 8 oz of TC #13 black powder bore cleaner, 1/2 qt of windex multisurface, 3 oz of birchwood casey brass case cleaner, and filled the rest of the jug with tap water. i had been shooting corrosive match russian ammo in my 28/76 and after i thought i had it clean, it became dark. i poured the mixture into the empty windex spray bottle and sprayed into the chamber and ran 6 dry patches until clean, repeated, then ran 2 patches of clp down the tube... finally a bright bore again!!!

Using the clp on all the surface that contact this mixture is a must because it removes everything and can cause rust to begin with no protection.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/272/imag0136sv.jpg
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby rock » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:56 am

J&B Bore Paste works great
Random avatar
rock

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Tech