It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 8:31 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

How clean is your bore?

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

How clean is your bore?

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Well I was working on MosZilla today getting her ready for her trip to see the guys at TTI today when I decided I better go back over and inspect the bore again.

I was surprised to see that after cleaning with mineral spirits etc the bore was still a bit dark. I took pictures, and as you can see the bore just looked bad. So I decided I needed to step up my cleaning a bit. I went to the local gun shop looking for foaming bore cleaner, well they didn't have any, but what they did have was something called Premium Bore Gel by Smith and Wesson. OK I thought to myself what could it hurt? So after I drove home and read the instructions I preceded to clean the bore again. I was shocked, first out of the chamber came more cosmoline, not just a little but a lot. I had thought I had cleaned that thoroughly before! Then I loaded a bore brush with the S&W Gel per instructions and ran it down the barrel, I let gel set for 15 minutes to do it's thing.

As I pushed the first patch down through the 77 year old Mosin Nagant barrel the stuff that came out of the end of the bore was shocking to say the least. It was almost solid black! I'm not talking gray I mean almost coal black with a little green thrown in there too. Next I ran patches down and finally after about 10 they cleaned up, I inspected the bore again. I decided if once did that lets try it again.

I proceeded to do this 2 more times, the results speak for themselves. It was like night and day, and I'm very happy with the results. check out the photos

Here is the before pics, not great but OK
before.jpg

Ummm Secret Sauce? Well maybe not secret but it's almost like magic!
gel.jpg

Shock and Awe, this is after the second treatment! You should have seen the first one.
patch.jpg

Here is the after WOW shiny now..
after.jpg

So the 9.00 investment in the S&W Premium Bore Gel was well worth the money, and a major improvement as you can see. The small black specks in the photo is some dust left behind from a barrel mop.

So I would highly recommend this stuff for those hard to clean carbon, copper fouled barrels. Or if this is your first cleaning for your Milsurp Mosin Nagant. You should be able to find the Gel at Big 5 and other places. If it's not available there Brownells has it. Almost wish I could sell it here.

seeya
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: How clean is your bore?

Postby GerryReno » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:59 am

this sounds like a good tip, i'm definately going to try it , thanks
You are only as good as your word.......everything you say is your word
GerryReno
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:40 am

Hmmm looks like I need to reload the photos, they didn't make the reinstall I guess
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby GerryReno » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:48 pm

i'd like to see them if you want to reload them
GerryReno
Sniper
Sniper

Postby GerryReno » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 am

I use a heat gun and paper towels.
GerryReno
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Shepard » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 am

If you have a tray or small tank, soak the barreled action in fresh gasoline. Do it out side so the fumes don't bother you. Gas will loosen up any gun grease or dirt.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:20 pm

OK well today I decided to inspect My Finnish M27, The bore was already pretty bright so I wasn't thinking of doing a whole bore scrub but the extractor groove in the barrel was packed with what looked to be comoline or grease. So I decided well IF I'm gonna be using some carburetor cleaner in there I better just go for broke and start from scratch.

So I go get my trusty cleaning kit and the Bore Gel, I fill the brand new brush with gel and run it in and out of the barrel. Look at what came out.
DSC_0295sm.JPG

Wow! this was a clean bore that when you put the light down it looked perfectly clean, this was after only about a minute. So I waited the 15 minutes and ran a patch. It pushed a big black blob of bore gel from the barrel and into a waiting jar. The patch looked like this.
DSC_0297sm.JPG

I continued this for about 5 more times, I've also found out if you run hot soapy water over the brush it cleans up quite easily and you can also swab down the bore with hot soapy water after the Bore Gel to gets rid of any goo left behind. BUT you must follow that with some dry patches and then oil.

I've been pretreating the exterior of the barrel with Militec 1, doing what it said in the instructions said and using a heat gun to get the barrel slowly up to a good temp. So since the bore is now clean I've swabbed the interior of the barrel with a heavy coat of Militec 1 and after it sits for a while I'll finish the treatment inside. Next will be the bolt!
Seeya
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby tdocz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Ikes! That is an impressive bore cleaner. I'm definitely going to get some and scrub down my Mosin bores. Thanks for posting this.
tdocz
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 12 times
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Postby Grimstod » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:35 pm

I hear that polishing also greatly helps accuracy. Would be interesting to se a before and after range report.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grimstod » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Ok so I went and tried it out myself. :D

Merader1 first post got me to thinking so I decided to really clean mine out and try it.
For the record this is also my first time shooting since I put some quark in the stock of my MN.

It looks pretty dark. I thought that this barrel looked great when I first picked it out. Guess I have a lot to learn. The most recent Tula MN that I picked up has a nice mirror boar with very sharp rifling.
Ok so I did a run of six patches with each can pictured above. The last two runs were with the Rem oil and they are the two cleaner looking ones below the first six.
I ran these patches from left to right.
The powder blaster and dry lub were supper tuff to get through the barrel. I had to cut down the patches. I am using a 27cal carbon cleaning rod.
This is my boar guid. I was really disappointed that it does not fit very well. As you can see it does not sit in line with the barrel. I tried it with the collar on the outside of the bolt and on the inside. Still not banana. If anyone has any ideas on how to get the darn thing to fit correctly I would really appreciate it.
I recently quarked the barrel and it shoots a lot better now. Before quark the best group I ever got was a 2.5in. Now it seems to shoot 2.5in groups every time. It was also extra windy today. Most of my shots were left and right of the center. Maybe on a better day I will start seeing under 2in groups. You can see in the photo below that the quark pushes the hand guard and stock apart just a little.
So does it look any better?
Next up on my list is to bed the action and install pillars too. I sure hope 1moa is posable with this gun.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Next

Return to Mosin Tech