It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:33 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

Bore Diameters within a Muzzle Brake

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

Bore Diameters within a Muzzle Brake

Postby Grindl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:17 pm

I'm wondering if tapering the inside diameters of each baffle within a muzzle brake would have any effect on either accuracy , or muzzle flip as the bullet passes through the brake . The largest port being closest to the muzzle , and each successive port be reduced in diameter equally to the final safe size over the bullet being fired ? Or does having every baffle bullet port the same diameter equally "balance" the gasses , etc ?

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about this . I got my new brake , and I'm toying with the tapered baffle idea...
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 196 times
Kudos  Received: 140 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Bore Diameters within a Muzzle Brake

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:14 am

I, personally don't think tapering the baffles will make it any more accurate. If it has any effect at all on anything, I think it would just reduce the effectiveness of the brake to reduce recoil. Just my opinion. I could be completely wrong.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grindl » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:04 pm

I wasn't thinking along the line of improving accuracy , but towards a more "equal" loading of each baffle or port , inside the break , to "balance" the load thru the brake as the bullet and following gasses traveled thru and out .

I was thinking somebody has tried it somewhere along the way , and could offer some insight . Just thinking out loud , mostly...
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Ah. I see. It would take some fine tuning to balance out the load on each baffle and it would only be balanced for the one load you balanced it with. If you changed your load either increasing or decreasing the pressure then the baffle load would be out of sync again. It's an interesting thought but I don't see any advantage to it.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:35 pm

I've been thinking about this very thing for a while now. Here are some of the issues I've been working on.

The rear port would need to be the smallest, the problem then would be that the gasses would have the most resistance at the port and would then take the path of least resistance, that could mean that they escape around the bullet. This would be do to the fact the the typical muzzle break has to have a larger inside diameter than the barrel.

Second issue is that the ports would need be tuned to specific pressures, changing bullets and or powder could dramatically change effectiveness of the break, thus resulting in performance issues.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:08 pm

It depends on what type brake your talking about. The bore diameter of the brake exit should be .030-.040 in diameter so the bullet clearance equals about .015-.020 around the bullet. This gives you the highest percentage of recoil reduction. The larger the brake bore is the less it will reduce recoil. Now how many types of brakes are there? There is the brake with a lot of little holes in it. This will reduce the pressure behind the bullet but uses none of the gases to counteract the recoil. This type brake would not benefit from having the bore tapered. The second type of brake is a gill brake or a baffled brake. The more baffles the better. I've tapered them on several build and have had great results. I have a 1/8 to 1/2 inch tapered hole reamer. I bore the brake to the proper size from the front and ream it from the rear opening up the last 3 baffles in succession. This in turn allows the escaping gases to be caught by more then one baffle and squeezes out all the energy possible to counter recoil. The last 2 baffles are .344 diameter so the clearance around the bullet is .015 - .020. The tighter the tolerances of your brake --- the high its efficiency.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Thu May 14, 2015 2:24 pm

I went with the M.B.& M. four port, 7/8 diameter Brake and I bored it to .335 before Shepards post on inside diameters..So needless to say , there was some minor trepidation when I squeezed the first round off. Took my Opti-Visor along and carefully examined every port after each and every one of the first ten rounds..Good to go .

The recoil has been reduced to just a firm "bump", and this has allowed me to become more accurate. Gotta admit I was probably starting to flinch , anticipating the recoil..Shot the best groups yet, at 200 yards with a horizontal string of five rounds within two & a half inches.The rounds were left to right in succession , and I completely blame operator error and a slight snatching on the trigger . :oops: :roll:

Birthday is a few months away and I think I'm going to ask for another of the same brakes , and do a taper in the ports to see how it works out . Post results when I have them .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Mosin Tech