It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

How do you transport your Mosin

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

How do you transport your Mosin

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:50 pm

OK I have a question, how do you guys store and transport your Mosins? Hard case, gun bag?

And when once you've got the gun home do you store them bolt open or closed? and why?

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: How do you transport your Mosin

Postby jlb783 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:51 pm

When I go to and from the range I just toss my Mosins in the back of the car (but this is Texas and it's almost required to have 7 or 8 rifles loose and visible in the back of your car :lol: ) and I store my Mosin with the bolt closed so I don't get as much dust in the chamber and so it doesn't slam around if I pick it up or something.
jlb783
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby DevilDog » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:55 am

My M91/30 sporter has a big scope, so it travels in a hardcase. It's too long and tall for the bag. The M44 uses that now. My range has a rule about cased weapons.

Both are stored bolt closed and De-cocked to relieve pressure on the firing pin spring.
Even when I remove the bolt, I de-cock it for the same reason.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby Cyrano » Mon May 23, 2011 9:27 am

Mostly I use a hard case, especially for Natasha, my scoped 1926 Izzy ex-dragoon that is a tack-driver or nearly (she shoots to minute of angle). But for my Model 1891 Tula from 1899 and my 1943 Izzy project gun with the muzzle brake and rubber buttpad, I have to use gun socks wrapped in an old Army blanket because I can't find a gun case long enough to accommodate them. Even catercorner, the 48" hard cases I can find around here aren't quite long enough to take them. Eventually I'm going to wind up building a custom box for them, I suppose.

I store mine bolt closed with the trigger pulled on an empty chamber. As the Mosin cocks on opening, I've found that even if you apply the safety you are cocking the piece, so that's the only way to store them with no spring tension.
Random avatar
Cyrano

Postby cheapblaster » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:54 pm

My M39 with a scout scope mounted on it travels in a hard sided case. Keeps it from getting banged around and keeps me from wasting time and ammo re-zeroing because I banged it around. The rest go into a padded gun sock. All ride around in the trunk of my car.
cheapblaster
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Ombre noire » Thu May 16, 2013 7:41 am

Marauder 1 wrote:OK I have a question, how do you guys store and transport your Mosins? Hard case, gun bag?

And when once you've got the gun home do you store them bolt open or closed? and why?

Seeya
Mark

#1) Carry: only best quality Drag bags, :thumbup: good protection, even for scoped rifles, many other pockets, great for dope book, small tools, cleaning rod and all other items needed.
Just grab your bag, everything is already in it, no more "darn, I forgot the ..." :x
In addition, if you are heavy on equipment, shoulder your bag and both hands are now free to carry other items, climb, or whatever.
I would consider a hard case for some very specific traveling conditions, especially for scopes rifles.
For storage, gun safe.
#2) Bolt closed, trigger released. Don't like to keep tension on spring.
Ombre noire
Carpe Diem
Random avatar
Ombre noire
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 14 times
Medals: 1
Video Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:25 am

I store and transport mine in a Plano Hard-case, (#108191) as it is 52 inches inide and allows plenty of extra room for magazines (Archangel) and other "stuff".Three layers of foam with the center layer being plush-pick type.
Several years ago ; I came across the All-weather Tactical case from Plano when looking for a case for my Tactical set-up SKS and it surpassed every expectation in protecting that one .Will post some pics when I get computer literate enough to do so . :oops:
I highly reccommend the the Plano case because it is extremely weel made and my other one gets a lot of abuse and has stood up to everything I've thrown at it . Great case.
Bolt closed with firing pin released . Way to much dust and dirt in "Zona" to do it any other way . I even go so far as to put a cover over the muzzle-brake... :lol:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 197 times
Kudos  Received: 143 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Shepard » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:29 pm

I was lucky to score a Plano Weather tight case. I like the pick puck foam -- you can model it to your rifles size with ease. It has 2 handles and a set of wheels for easy transport. It sports a pair of built in latch locks.
I just went on my first long distance gun shoot. Transporting firearms interstate - even legal ones by car can be a hassle. I searched the net and found a few suggested things to do to make your trip more enjoyable.
Have a car with a trunk - firearms not inside of car.
Have all hard cases locked and secured.
Have all your ammunition in a lock box.
Keep it all in the trunk - out of sight -- out of mind.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby 1337-Alpha » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:36 pm

When stored, in a safe with the bolt closed and de-cocked. Trying to save the springs!

Out to the range or hunting I use an old plastic hard case but I am thinking about trading up for this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939171 ... 1939171584

Might make for a nice go bag.
1337-Alpha
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 5 times

Postby kermit » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Marauder 1 wrote:OK I have a question, how do you guys store and transport your Mosins? Hard case, gun bag?

Seeya
Mark

plano hard case.$25 from big5
kermit
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 70 times
Kudos  Received: 10 times

Next

Return to Mosin Tech