It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

PEM or PU scope base, which would you use & why?

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

PEM or PU scope base, which would you use & why?

Postby 1Centurion » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:40 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here is my question- I am looking at buying a scope base for my Mosin-Archangel project. I have had the PU style of scope base on another Mosin, seemed like it worked well enough. But I am looking at the PEM style of scope base and wondering which is better? I will be purchasing one or the other from Accu-mounts in the near future, but really want to make an informed purchase. The PEM style is nearly twice what the PU one runs so one could jump to the conclusion it is a better design.....
Random avatar
1Centurion

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times

Re: PEM or PU scope base, which would you use & why?

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:20 am

I highly recommend the RSI scope mount. They are the industries leader in quality and reliability. There are a few who have copy catted them but RSI to me is the way to go. In fact if you wait they are going to be having a scratch and dent sale soon you might be able to pick a mount up cheap.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby jaysny87 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:40 am

I would have to agree. The rock solid industries mount is the best. It's proven to be solid, versatile and effective when installed correctly. The only draw back is the additional cost of the bent bolt handle but you would need that with any of the other mounts available as well.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Grimstod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:48 am

TrueShot makes a great scope mount that is better then the RSI for two reasons. Its cost a lot less and it can still use open sights.
Just my opinion.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:28 am

1Centurion ; I built my "43" Izzy using the Archangel , and I chose the RSI Long rail and Bent Bolt from them , also . Excellent quality pieces and my Gunsmith had no trouble mounting the rail and compensating for lack of vertical adjustment for LR in my scope turrets .

After a year of several thousand rounds of both mil-surp , and tactical reloads , I have had "zero" issues with any of the RSI components . I highly recommend the RSI components to anyone , and if you are building for L-R , I feel the long rail is a must . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:32 pm

I too would go the rock solid path! But if I had to choose between the two mounts you named, I'd go with the pem... it mounts on the top of the receiver and just seems more stable to me AND you won't have to cut your stock for it to work!
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby rjmt » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:53 pm

I selected to go with a PEM side mount. Easier to find a gunsmith to mount it and very adjustable to match the rifles center bore. retains zero when remounted
BUT - and a big - BUT -
you have to determine which scope you wish to use before you mount it. The original scope was a long eye relief and was mounted farther forward than required by most modern rifle scope for proper eye relief. Has to be a 1" tube to fit the adapters
and 6" of free tube area for mounting. In the end, I found a Vortex 1" that met my needs. Has 7" of free tube to mount, 4" of eye relief at low magnification for my eye position and perfect placement for use with the Brass Stack cheek rest. I'm an old Leupold guy, but couldn't find one to fit the PEM mount
also the PEM slides back to remove, you have to relieve the stock to the rear of the mount to remove it. I've refinished the stock since this photo was taken.

Old Man on the Mountain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 38 times
Nice Build Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby rjmt » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:05 am

I was reading last night that the PU scopemounts had to be machined to match the receiver to line up with the bore perfectly. This is why they were serial number matched to the receiver. This is not an issue with the PEM sidemount, with it's lateral adjustment. The PEM mount may be heavier, but it is adjustable and mine seems to re-zero each time I remount it.

anyone have experience with a PU mount not being centered to the bore?

Still waiting for my latest PEM to get back from the gunsmith.

Old Man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 38 times
Nice Build Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Return to Mosin Tech