It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:09 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

Hearing Protection what are you using?

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

Hearing Protection what are you using?

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:40 am

OK we all love our Mosin Nagant rifles. We all love the Mosin BOOM! but the very thing we love then for we need to protect out selves from. The use proper hearing protection when at the range is paramount. I'd like to hear (sorry for the pun) what your using at the range and why.

This stems from a trip to the range about 6 months ago where I had a hearing protection failure just as the guy next to me unleashed a round from his AR. I didn't notice anything at first but as I was driving home I noticed the radio sounded funny. Turned out it wasn't the radio but my ear had received some very high SPL's and it took a good 6 months before it returned to somewhat normal hearing.

So let's hear what you use and why or why your not using a particular type of hearing protection.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Hearing Protection what are you using?

Postby DevilDog » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:55 am

Had to Google SPL...Sound Pressure Level. Sorry about your injury..I hope you recover!

I use the squeezable plugs while shooting, as they do not interfere with my cheek weld and safety glasses. They have a 31dB reduction rating.

The over the ear units do not seal well over the safety glasses' earpiece for me, I use them only when I am packing or unpacking while others are shooting.
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby Chenko » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 am

either Caldwell E-Max Low Profile Electronic Muffs

or SureFire Sonic Defender Ear Plugs.

The earplugs are awesome because i can still things around me, but it knocks out the super load sounds and they arent electronic
Chenko
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Well it is doing much better now, the first few weeks were quite trippy, everything in that ear sounded as it it were going through a tube. Really doesn't bode well for someone who make there living using their ears. The tube effect is gone now.

What happened is I had been running foams and ear muff style protection while the range was hot. I removed my foams after the range master called a cease fire. Like you I still put on ear muff style protectors between breaks. After a short break the range went hot again. As I turned to put one of my regular Mosins' back in the rack at the rear of the range, somehow the rifle knocked the ear piece off my left ear just as the guy in the stall next to me unleashed a round. Man was they loud! There are no sound walls between each position only every other one and the angle was just perfect with my ear when it went off.

So now I'm in search of some very good foams that I can wear all the time at the range. I had considered the noise canceling headsets but I'm not convinced they actually work like they say. I do have issues sometimes of the cheaper foams falling out so I'm on the look for some good ones.

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby DevilDog » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:37 pm

I have tried several foams, and they seem to have different amounts of 'Springiness' for lack of a better term. Too much, and the pressure fatigues my lobes :( cause I always roll them down hard and shove em way in.

I picked up these at the hardware store recently, and I like them. They stay fairly soft but spring back well:
MSA Safety Works 10087625

I threw em in the car and have a bunch for me and any guests. Basic good throw away protection (ummm....we are talking ears, right?)
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby Busted » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:31 pm

I use nothing at the moment, :oops: I've shot the Mosin, .22lr Rem. 597, .380auto, .38 spec., Beretta .40 S&W, 12 gauge, and a Savage .270... all recently. Back when I had a job I worked in a loud factory for plastic injection molding machines, and also my last car at that time was beyond loud, 3" open downpipe on a supercharged V6. Also I listen to my music loudly too, loud car needed louder speakers, had two 12" Kicker CompVR subs. I have had one busted ear drum due to a swimming accident. I bet my ears hate me, I can hear fine though. Those squeezable ear plugs are nice, I am pretty sure that's what we used at the last place I worked at. It looks like those, same color and shape.
Busted
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:08 pm

I was browsing the internet and found this place tonight
The Ear Plug Store They've got some cool shooting plugs
Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:01 am

Winchester muffs and Winchester Earplugs. I've Rock and Rolled all my life and have been involved in some very hi-pressure explosions. My ears ring all the time, at 58 I've been lucky I have any hearing left. I wonder what it was like on the battlefield, The Mosin Volley hundreds of times more and ZERO ear protection. (What'd you say) hey I CAN"T HEAR YOU Be smart, wear your protection as your life depends on it. A silent world sucks.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Chenko » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Mark,

you can get custom made ear plugs at any of the shows. they do it right there
Chenko
Range Master
Range Master

Postby iridium-192 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 pm

I use ether “Caldwell E-max low profile” or just foam orange earplugs…
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 326 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Next

Return to Mosin Tech