It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

Hearing Protection what are you using?

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

Re: Hearing Protection what are you using?

Postby USSR » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:31 am

I use a set custom made for my ears. Pain in the butt to get in but otherwise they are fantastic!
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Postby Slick4k » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Years ago I used to work in a saw mill . The company offered plugs, but a buddy of mine got me a pair of earmuffs from somewhere. The noise reduction with the muffs was considerably more than the plugs. Muffs are tough to wear with glasses,so I've gone back to foam. Doesn't seem to matter what brand, they all work fine for me.
I too have a pretty severe hearing problem from years of running big equipment and shooting. Course that kinda works for me when all the kids are talking :lol:
Don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense being late.
Random avatar
Slick4k
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby ctreser » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Howard Leight with volume adjust. I love em.
"Attack the Slack"
Mosin Nagant Improvements
http://www.crsurplusspring.com
ctreser
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos  Received: 4 times

Hearing Protection what are you using?

Postby Noel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:55 pm

I own all of the best electronic muffs. MSA Sordin, Peltor. & even some Howard Leight. Yes I have been doing this for a long time. I have switched recently to the little Sure Fire plugs. Far better for rifle stock fitment and cheap enough to lose and not care. Electronic is best for hearing ambient sounds, in fact I use them hunting to hear the critters better. But on a rifle range I prefer the Sure Fires above all others.
Random avatar
Noel

Postby cheapblaster » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:46 pm

I use the basic foam squeeze and put in the ear type. If I put it in right, it does a great job. If it is too loose, my ear soon tells me. Db. reduction rating on these is as good as some expensive set. I can get a package of 6 sets for a couple bucks at OSH. They do get scuzzy but they are disposable.

I also have found the ear-muff style does not work well with glasses - without my glasses, safety aside, I would be pretty much unable to aim. They also can screw up my cheek weld.
cheapblaster
Marksman
Marksman

Postby cwilliams » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:30 pm

I have been doubling up at the range using ear plugs and muffs. In my young life I've put my ears through loud rock music, tons of auto racing (including top fuel dragsters from about 10' away), guns, and constant high decibel crowd and PA noise at sporting events. All I have to say is SAVE YOUR HEARING!!

My muffs are just a standard pair of Winchester's that I bought several years ago. I use these for my plugs. They have a NRR of 33, seal well, are a very comfortable soft foam, and work the best for someone like me who has a larger ear canal. Since I wear plugs or filters when I'm working, I'm going to go to a custom mold so I can be even more comfortable while having to keep them in for several hours at a time and have an option of ones with different attenuation.
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby cwilliams » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:37 pm

cheapblaster wrote:
I also have found the ear-muff style does not work well with glasses - without my glasses, safety aside, I would be pretty much unable to aim. They also can screw up my cheek weld.

For those who are looking for a good set of safety glasses that do work well with ear-muff's, I use these - ESS Suppresor
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby kermit » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:53 pm

i used to use my issue military ones. we carried them in the case using the chain. then i found ones at a gun shop that closed in presence of noise. now i use them or military ones with ear muffs. and yes i shoot right handed and so have hearing loss in left ear. 14 1/2 field arty years and 3 1/2 in armour unit. huh???
kermit
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 70 times
Kudos  Received: 10 times

Postby A320guy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:50 am

Being an ancient Airline Mechanic,may I comment and recommend? SOFT foamy earplugs AND earmuffs. DONE OK,so I get everything for free. BUT, if you clean your ears first with swabs the foamy plugs will last for dozens of reuses! Matter of fact,you will have to lightly pull them out on a cease fire to hear conversation.Trust me,you need BOTH
Random avatar
A320guy

Postby Randalloc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 pm

I use both ear plugs and ear muffs just a habit I started.. and have the muffs off at times and if someone is near shooting I still have something there.. just in case. Most of my range time is by myself or if someone is there.. they are 40 yrds away.
You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created.” - Albert Einstein
“Creativity is that marvelous capacity to grasp mutually distinct realities and draw a spark from their juxtaposition.” ― Max Ernst
Randalloc
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 26 times
Kudos  Received: 46 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Tech