It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:53 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

Postby Just1Spark » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi everyone. Wish I had time to visit here more.
But I know you are the group to talk to about this. :)

I have something that I came up with a while back. I wanted a more accurate way to locate and drill mosins. Since the receivers can be a bit fugly in terms of machining, indicating off the outside of the receivers never really sat well with me. Plus I would always have something on the milling machine that I didnt want to remove, to drill a mosin.

So anyways, I came up with this jig. I call it the Mosin Nagant Scope Smith.

I am looking to develop a licensing agreement with someone who wants to manuf and sell these.

This would allow ANYONE to drill and tap their own gun at home.
Just1Spark
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 5 times
Kudos  Received: 10 times

Re: Scoperail installation tool

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:24 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :wt*: that is so simple and yet I'd say it is very accurate. More than accurate enough to get you with in scope tolerances. Very well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Just1Spark » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:35 pm

Thank you. I figured the most accurate surface to indicate off of would be the inside of the receiver. So you are aligned more closely with the bore, than you would be if indicating off the outside of the receiver.
Just1Spark
Marksman
Marksman

Postby jaysny87 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Awesome idea! That's really cool and seems effective. The only drawback I would see is that for the average kitchen table gunsmith installing a Mosin scope mount is usually a one time thing making it hard to justify the added cost of fixtures. Basically why I don't own all the stuff for blue printing a Remington action. But that doesn't mean this isn't a product that shouldn't be brought to market to some capacities. Maybe try to like you said get someone to distribute them under a license and also have a rental program of sorts. Let me know if you need someone to manufacture them. I too run a machine shop here in Texas. But I don't see why one of the mount manufacturers would want to sell or rent these.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Just1Spark » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:04 am

I talked with RockSolid, and the impression I got was that he is getting closer to retirement, and just didnt want the hassle of a new product, with current tech support all he is wanting to handle.

The finished product would cost under $50. I know some wouldnt spend that on a one time tool. But im interested in those who would. It could easily just be put on ebay after use.
Just1Spark
Marksman
Marksman

Return to Mosin Tech