It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Tech

Cosmoline Removal

Got a performance enhancement, cool tools and tricks post it here..

Cosmoline Removal

Postby CCA762 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:29 pm

This may have already been thought of previously but I recently remembered a cleaning trick I learned from another gunsmith and was curious to see if it would work on cosmoline removal on the mosin's. I just use Simple Green cleaner in it's full concentration form, don't dilute it with water. Place the parts in a small plastic bin or some form of container that will allow you to submerse the parts. Let the parts soak for a while and then use stainless steel brushes for the tough stuff and stiff polymer brushes for overall removal. You may need to repeat a couple of times but you can see from the pics that it worked very well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy." Isaiah 54:16 NLT
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 21 times

Re: Cosmoline Removal

Postby bearrowland » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:05 pm

If you could work out a way to keep the solution from running out, would this work on the sticky chamber?
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby CCA762 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:46 am

Bearrowland,
Better late than never. We usually plug the muzzle end of the barrel and stand the rifle up on the muzzle end and fill the barrel and chamber with the simple green and allow it to soak for a day. Repeat if necessary.
"I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy." Isaiah 54:16 NLT
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 21 times

Postby bearrowland » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:13 am

Thank you sir...gonna give it a try!!
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master