It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 1:50 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Collectors Forum

1924 Mosin ex Dragoon

Mosin Nagant Purist and Collectors Area

1924 Mosin ex Dragoon

Postby rjmt » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:53 pm

was up in Tacoma, Wa buying AR parts yesterday at SAA for my new M27 IAR clone project
they have an actual Mosin Crate they put Mosins in every week
So - I see what looks like a 91/30, but with Russian Cyrillic writing and a date of 1924. Has the 91/30 stock, and metric rear sight and globe front sight. Go back to the motel to study and learn it's an Mosin Dragoon that was armory refinished during WW2 to 91/30 specifications.
all matching serial numbers, no strike throughs. still packed in grease
you'll have to wait for photos, as I have to wait to pick it up - waiting to pass my background check, since I was outside my home county. Very excited - I didn't even know there was such a Mosin as an ex Dragoon in 91/30 configuration until yesterday

paid $289

Old Man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 38 times
Medals: 2
Nice Build Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Re: 1924 Mosin ex Dragoon

Postby rjmt » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Well, I guess I'm still learning about Mosins
I read that the Dragoon was manufactured until 1932
our first Mosin, a 1930 Izhevsk with brass handguard bands, shows the rear sight gap that designates an ex Dragoon. Looks like my son has had an ex Dragoon all along. At Izhevsk, the Dragoon and 91/30 were manufactured at the same time until 1932. At some point, our '30 Dragoon was updated to the 91/30 metric sights.
Our '32 Izhevsk is definitely a 91/30
Once I get the '24 Dragoon in hand, I'll take a photo set of the '24 and '30 Dragoon side by side

My son just asked the difference between application of the Mosins - based on my research:
Cossack - Calvary rifle - no bayonet
Dragoon - horse mounted infantry rifle - bayonet
91/30 - foot infantry rifle - bayonet
all 3 had the same barrel length

we also have a Mosin M38, which was used by mounted infantry and motorcycle reconnaissance early in WW 2, but with a 20" bbl

anyone on the forum with additional information, please jump in here

Old Man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Postby rjmt » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:28 pm

Well, I guess I'm still learning about Mosins
I read that the Dragoon was manufactured until 1932
our first Mosin, a 1930 Izhevsk with brass handguard bands, shows the rear sight gap that designates an ex Dragoon. Looks like my son has had an ex Dragoon all along. At Izhevsk, the Dragoon and 91/30 were manufactured at the same time until 1932. At some point, our '30 Dragoon was updated to the 91/30 metric sights.
Our '32 Izhevsk is definitely a 91/30
Once I get the '24 Dragoon in hand, I'll take a photo set of the '24 and '30 Dragoon side by side

My son just asked the difference between application of the Mosins - based on my research:
Cossack - Calvary rifle - no bayonet
Dragoon - horse mounted infantry rifle - bayonet
91/30 - foot infantry rifle - bayonet
all 3 had the same barrel length

we also have a Mosin M38, which was used by mounted infantry and motorcycle reconnaissance early in WW 2, but with a 20" bbl

anyone on the forum with additional information, please jump in here

Old Man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Postby bearrowland » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:23 am

Way to go RJ! I'd love to see an M/N in a shop nowadays...looks like you'll be having some fun soon!
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby rjmt » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

I checked on line, someone must have just released a shipment of old Dragoons from somewhere. Many on-line sellers and gunshops now have these '20s Dragoons from both Tula and Izhevsk. Even Classic Arms has them in stock.
Prices are not exceptional. Is there a reason that the Dragoon is not a preferred collectable? The one my son has is the highest quality finished Mosin we own. I read they were never issued to combat troops during WW2, but only used for Home Guard and rear area units
I finally passed my Obama background check - pick up my Dragoon on Monday. Once I get it cleaned up, I'll send photos.

Old Man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Postby 0933 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:12 pm

If they have been updated to 91/30 specifications, probably during an arsenal refurbishment, then they are pretty much worth M91/30 prices. Some collectors find them more desirable than other 91/30's, but they are just basically 91/30's.

Now original Dragoons and Cossacks with the original sights, and handguard are fairly rare and those usually are on par with Finnish Mosin prices and are very desirable to collectors.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby rjmt » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:57 pm

thanks for the feedback,
I still consider it unique to add a 1924 Mosin to my collection

armory rebuild or not, a 1924 Mosin ex-Dragoon is a rifle I will consider special.

I have a Mosin M38, a Finn Sako M39, a non-armory rebuilt '43 Tula and a '36 Hex Tula PE ex-sniper, with welded scope mount holes, among my collection

this ex-Dragoon will just add to the group

Old Man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Postby 0933 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:18 pm

We can't wait for pictures!! :thumbup:
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby rjmt » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:25 pm

my ex- Dragoon has sat in the gunsafe covered in grease since I brought it home
started to clean it up today - noticed several interesting points
the barrel and receiver are 1924 Izhevsk
stock is a post war 91/30 and has a rough steel shim at the rear of the receiver over the rear receiver bolt hole
now, here is something I have not seen on any of my other Mosins
it has matched serial numbers, no armory strike throughs, BUT, they are not original numbers. The trigger guard floor plate has been ground down and new numbers stamped into it. Butt stock has matching numbers, but not from a matching punch set
bolt has matching numbers, but the numerals don't match the style on the barrel (different style 7 and 2) and all the bolt parts have the late Izhevsk triangle, not the 1924 bow and arrow of the barrel and receiver
the stock has just one coat of very poor shellac, easily scrapes off. Barrel bands are of the late spring style with late Izhvesk triangles.
now the bore on the barrel - it is a pristen bore, with strong rifling all the way to the muzzle, strongest rifling on any of my Mosins. And the muzzle had been painted with black paint, scraped off when I was cleaning the bore. Has 91/30 front and rear sight, but the front sight has not been offset to the right as it would if it had been sighted in with a bayonet. front sight center marks are still lined up. Bayonet has matching numbers, but, again, the numeral style don't match the bolt or trigger guard.
Trigger is one of the smoothest of my Mosin triggers - long pull, but smooth and breaks clean at 6.5lbs on the gauge.
Receiver was clean, with no build up of residue from blowback around the steel cased ammo and the bolt cycles as smooth as any of my lapped in bolt/receivers. Cocks as easy as my respringed, lapped in bolts.
and here is an unique point, the two piece dissconect has been tuned so that it feeds stripper clips as smooth as the ones I've tuned myself. We all know many of the armory rebuild Mosins are very rough, most won't feed stripper clips. Someone spend some time tuning this rifle.

all in all, no collectors value, but a M1891 Dragoon barrel and receiver manufactured in 1924, armory rebuilt post-war and probably never issued to combat troops. May turn out to be a good shooter. I have a pristine post war laminate stock I may put it in if it shoots well.
Don't have time to finish or fire it this weekend - have to head out in another couple of hours for work this week

Old Man on the Mountain
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Mosin Nagant Collectors Forum