It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:28 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Collectors Forum

Historic Rifles And What Makes Them So

Mosin Nagant Purist and Collectors Area

Historic Rifles And What Makes Them So

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:51 am

OK this is a debate that will rage on forever, Should I Mod or leave it alone. We have a lot of new Mosin Nagant owners out there and I think that it's a discussion that needs to be had.

This will prevent them from Modding or doing something to a rifle that "could" be a valuable collectors rifle. I mean who knows what is in those crates and boxes some of these sellers get.

So what do would you guys say to a bit of discussion to prevent someone from wrecking a rifle that should have been left alone.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Historic Rifles And What Makes Them So

Postby gandog56 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:51 pm

I would guess you would have to classify me as a purist. I cannot STAND the *****'s that have to try to make their Mosin Nagants into an evil black plastic rifle. About the only thing I excuse is putting optics on for the weak eyed (Like me). And only if you do it in a manner where the rifle can still be restored back to it's original condition.
Many people say I am paranoid because I have so many guns. If I have many guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?
gandog56
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 18 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby iridium-192 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Well, we have really nice community over here & a lot of folks like to modify old cranks and so happened that I’m one of them… I just cannot live alone a firearm without at least slight modification; I cannot STAND plain factory product – MAN THAT’S REALLY BORIGN… If you want, when I see a gun in the store, I think: “WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE IN IT?” if a gun has more things that I would like to change, it has higher chances to be purchased, and that’s why I like Mosin. More than this, when I rich a certain lever of a satisfaction with particular modification and there are not so much else to do with it, I just sell it, for only one reason – to buy something else to modify… Love it – life is going - never stops! Saying so, I respect those who are “purists”, as soon as you own a firearm legally, I do respect you and it is totally up to you either you're going to modify it or not.
I don’t like changes in the country, but I like changes in my guns.
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes

Black Mamba http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4931
Ultimate Mosin 2 http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4948
Earlier projects http://socamo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4949
iridium-192

Kudos Given: 326 times
Kudos  Received: 249 times
Medals: 6
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (2) NRA Member (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby notabiker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:38 pm

refinishing a worn stock on a otherwise nice mosin is not a crime unless it is a very rare model.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:51 pm

IN fact stocks are a dime a dozen so if you wanted to buy a spare stock and install it on that one for sale later no one would ever know.

Now where I would not refinish a stock is if it had some rare marking and or something scratched in the stock that could put it somewhere in history. For example a name of it's owner etc.

I don't have a problem with refinishing a common stock at all.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby kermit » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:27 am

i have a 1942Izhevsk and a 1938Tula. i have 4 stocks,6 handguards ,2 sniper bomplete bolts and the 2 issued bolts. i have headspaced all four bolts i am getting a M-44 from AIM i ordered saturday and the only mod i will do on the M-44 is a M39 trigger and sear as russian trigger setups suck. on the M91/30 i can remove the smith adjustable sight,remove stock and handguard,remove finn 2 pin trigger and finn sear and have the rifle looking as it did when purchased for $99.99 at big 5 in 15minutes if i decide i wish to sell the 1942 Izhevsk. am i a purist? maybe. am a modifier? maybe. do i do permenant mods on 1 of 37,000,099 other mosin nagants? no i don't do permanent mods.
kermit
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 70 times
Kudos  Received: 10 times

Postby notabiker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:28 am

my 1905 tula M- 91 will not get a stock re do. lemon oil only. it is 107 years old and 100% org. one of my big 5 IZZYs is so nice all matching# and no counter bore that i will also not touch it. the others i did and will strip and refinish the wood. when i take my humble mosins to the range i want them to look nice. no ***** mods for me. but if you want to take a so so big 5 1942 IZZY and mount a scope and install a Boyds stock great.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Postby professor9 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:00 am

I have just a few years experience with Mosins's but rest assured I am not a *****. I have a 1930 Tula hex laminated 91/30 that will stay original as long as I live. I did though, purchase a cut down M44 with an ATI stock as a project the guy lost interest in.
My perception is to try to revive or put a 2nd life into a rifle that otherwise wouldn't have one. I would never ***** a rifle myself, but I will take an orphan and give it a home.
My next project is a Springfield 1898 Krag sporter that will get a replica stock and original style sights.
I think it's ok to take and build / correct someone else's ***** but would advise against destroying the history of an historic rifle.
Prof
Armed people are free people.
professor9
Gunner
Gunner

Postby Grimstod » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 am

I would classify any Mosin with a date of 1930 and older as a classic and would not touch it. Going even older and I think they are even more desirable as a collectors peace and should not be touched.

Stock refinishing is good as longs as you don't go sanding out someones name as already discussed above.

Finnish mosins are especially precious to me. Even though the action of a Mosin is truly superior I don't think I could ever get myself to mod it.

If it has non matching serials then def Modification material.

***** stands for *****, no one needs to code type that :yawn:
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby magoo1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:42 am

In my own modified 1942 91-30, just one in a large amount of copies, I felt no remorse in finding a way to help it shoot for me a bit better. I also think that before the early 30's they should be left alone, at the same time I also am happy that the Fin's did not think the same way as I...
Mosinitis not just a disease but a condition
magoo1
Range Master
Range Master

Next

Return to Mosin Nagant Collectors Forum