It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

SOCAMO General Discussion

Carbine Recoil Question...

General Discussion area.

Carbine Recoil Question...

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:47 am

I keep hearing from everyone I talk to about Mosin Carbines kicking worse than their big brothers. OK I'm not sure of the physics involved but can someone explain why? Is it just the lighter gun or is there something else going on I'm missing. And if it is a weight issue wouldn't adding weight solve the problem?
Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Carbine Recoil Question...

Postby jlb783 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:22 pm

I really haven't noticed much of a difference in recoil in my M38 and 91/30.
jlb783
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Carbine Recoil Question...

Postby King Armory » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:42 pm

There's a couple issues that cause the higher recoil in the carbine.

1) The barrel is shorter so when the bullet leaves the barrel there is higher propellant pressure which results in higher recoil caused by secondary acceleration of the propellant mass. This is why carbines have such horrendous muzzle blast compared to the rifles also.

2) The carbine barrel is slightly lighter in profile and is obviously shorter. This results in a lighter total weight which means that the rifle is going to accelerate rearward faster than a rifle (i.e. kick harder). On our website we have a tutorial about the physics behind all this at http://kingarmory.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page77.html. Page 2 in particular is particularly relevant to this topic.

3) The carbine barrel is shorter so there is less weight out on the 'lever' (look at your shoulder at the fulcrum) to resist muzzle flip. Longer barrels require more energy to lift so they tend to have less muzzle flip and have less 'felt' recoil even though the actual recoil may be the same. This is also why porting/compensators are used on some barrels to push the muzzle down when fired. It counteracts the muzzle flip caused by the gun pushing back into your shoulder and moving the shoulder back (and the gun up)
Random avatar
King Armory

Return to SOCAMO General Discussion