It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:58 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Local Shooting Ranges

Lytle creek range today

Got a favorite place to shoot? Post it here.

Lytle creek range today

Postby notabiker » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:01 pm

i took 3 rifles to the range today. this is the first time to shoot my big 5 sniper. i like the repro scope. i did not have to shim or file the bracket to center the scope. in 10 shots i was done. no problems with the set up, nothing came loose. the bolt is a little tight on the action [ it is a MN :lol: ].
this is the first time i got to fire my new 1978 yugo SKS. neet rifle love it.
i also fired my FAV rifle my 1955 Romanian M- 44. the action is so smooth, i was killing the bowling pins :roll: . a M-44 will get you a lot of attention, even the blinged out ARs take a look.
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Lytle creek range today

Postby DevilDog » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Good on ya, show those blingers wassup. There is a great 1955 Romanian M44 I have been watching on GB, makes me want to buy it :roll:
"Delight is to him — a far, far upward, and inward delight — who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self."
- Herman Melville
DevilDog

Kudos  Received: 4 times
Medals: 5
Master Builder Award (1) NRA Member (1) Zombie Shoot (1)
Finnish Variant (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1)

Postby cwilliams » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:31 am

Glad you had a great time!

How is that range? I have yet to have the chance to go up there and shoot. The main thing I've wondered is if any of the firing lines are shaded.

Since you talked about those rifles attracting attention, I can certainly agree that they do. The first time I brought the Mosin out, several people asked about it. I let a dad and his son shoot off a couple rounds to get a feel of what a 7.62x54r round is capable of. Both were impressed!
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Postby notabiker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:26 am

most of the range for rifles is covered. i would get their AM to get a good spot. one range is 100 yards 2/3 covered. the other range i think 300 yards is also covered. it is 14 bucks to shoot all day. i am proud to shot these old rifles. the tactical rifle thing is fine but not for me.
even with a butt pad in the sitting position these Mosins will give you a sore spot and red mark :lol: :o
Random avatar
notabiker
Range Master
Range Master

Lytle creek range today

Postby cwilliams » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:30 am

Excellent!! Thank you!

I certainly agree that the sitting position can wreak havoc on your shoulder. It takes the full brunt of the recoil! Prone would be even worse! When I've shot the Mosin standing, I barely felt a thing because the rest of my body was able to act as a shock absorber. It was that "push" that most people describe it as.
cwilliams
Sniper
Sniper

Return to Local Shooting Ranges