It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:05 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Local Shooting Ranges

Oaktree Gun Club is Frustrating

Got a favorite place to shoot? Post it here.

Oaktree Gun Club is Frustrating

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:02 pm

Today I woke up early and planed on taking my boys and MosZilla along with a few other rifles and pistols to the range. I called Oaktree Gun Club and specifically asked if the rifle range was open. The young lady at the other end of the phone said "Yes the 68 yard range is open but not the main rifle range and I suggest you come in early and sign up to get your name on the list". I said great I'll be there soon. So I loaded up and headed out. Upon arrival at the range I was told that "The rifle range is closed for private lessons" When I explained that over the phone I was told it was open the gentleman behind the counter asked "who told you it was open" When I explained in detail my conversation with the young lady on the phone he simply said "oh well she doesn't know".

Argh, I had loaded up my M38, a new M91/30 and of course MosZilla to get some trigger time on and now nothing. Yet when I drove past the bay it was empty. Not just once but numerous times. It's a good thing I had my new .22 pistol or the day would have been a complete bust. Oaktree is such a nice facility but they seem to be not public friendly when it comes to rifles, I don't understand why. They sell rifles there. It's also very frustrating that local police agencies always have the range tied up and I mean always. And when they don't it's closed for something else. The only time the public has access is Friday night between 3pm and 10pm. This is utterly ridiculous, only one night a week?

As I said before they have a beautiful facility for trap and pistol but we rifle owners need some time on the range too. The only other option for me is to go to A Place To Shoot. Which I really like but it's been so hot lately it's not a place I want to visit in 105 degree heat. So as a result I couldn't get MosZilla on the range today, I was even ready to buy a new rifle from them today, but they showed me that they really don't want my business as a rifle owner. Why buy from there when you can't easily shoot there?
OK Rant Over
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Oaktree Gun Club is Frustrating

Postby Shepard » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:21 am

How far is it for you guys to get to open desert? As I understand it you all live in "Saburbia" and there isn't a lot of open range. Shooting ranges offer pre measured targeting and nice shooting benches, but it seams the hassle is to much for what its worth.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Oaktree Gun Club is Frustrating

Postby USSR » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:19 am

all of the short rifle ranges by me are owned by state parks and are free. anything over 200 yds and you have to be part of a club. its really too bad you dont have state owned free ranges. the nice thing is the local police all use their own range. if i go to the range in Cedar Rapids though the range is almost always hogged up by the CRPD.
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Return to Local Shooting Ranges