It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Bipod recomendations for Archangel Mosin stock

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Bipod recomendations for Archangel Mosin stock

Postby 1Centurion » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:16 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I am looking for input on bi-pod recommendations for the Archangel Mosin-Nagant stock. I have my build "almost there"- did the bent bolt mod, Timmney trigger upgrade and of course the Archangel stock. I used the PU reproduction 1' inch mount from Accumonts and have their repro original style scope. Not sure why I chose this, figured if it worked so well for the Russians during WWII, it would probably suffice for deer hunting! Anybody have any recommendations for a bipod for the Archangel stock based on experience? Lots of them out there but looking to spend maybe $100.00 or so. Particularly interested in how your bipod mounts to the Archangel stock.

Haven't seen a thread devoted solely to the Archangel build, unless I missed it?
Random avatar
1Centurion

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 4 times

Re: Bipod recomendations for Archangel Mosin stock

Postby Grindl » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 pm

I did a Archangel build ; and the Bi-pod I used was the UTG Super Duty", 8-12.8" unit . I chose it primarily for it's strength and solid , square tube , leg design . It has seen a couple of years of field Tactical use , from the desert , to the mountains , and stood up extremely well . I would buy it again without hesitation , compared to some of the other higher priced units out there . For a hunting set-up ; it would be my first choice , also . It has stood up to everything I've thrown at it and still like a new piece .

Due to the fact that I was building for hard field use ; I chose to use a short "pic" rail for mounting , and bolted the rail to the bottom of the stock , rather than use the normal bipod mounting . It also allows for changing out , to a longer or shorter Bi-pod if needed . And I have the shorter 6"-9", also .

I'll dig up the info on it , and post the proper stock order number before the day is out . Think the price was around $55.00 / $60.00 with shipping .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 190 times
Kudos  Received: 115 times
Medals: 1
NRA Member (1)

Postby Grindl » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:51 pm

The info on the Bi-pod is :
Leapers UTG , Super Duty Bi-pod
8" - 12.8" height
#TL-BP99Q
I got mine from Cheaper than Dirt , and it is currently listed for $45.00 + shipping. Put the stock number in the search box , and it should take you to the item . Confirm the number , as they have several very similar units but of slightly different design and height . This one is very heavy duty design & construction , and should more than serve your needs .

Hope it meets your requirements , cause it surpassed mine .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Postby Grindl » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:59 pm

Almost forgot . There are several threads regarding Archangel builds here . Try ; "Gabriel, the Archangel". It's in this "Modder's" section . Very nice build . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Postby 0933 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:36 pm

I've run Caldwell and Blackhawk bipods on a few of my rifles. They're knock-offs of Harris, for about half the price. If you aren't planning on really pushing the limits with this rifle (exposure, hiking it all over God's country) then you should be fine with any Harris type knock-off. Harris bipods are solid, and I am a fan... but sometimes $100 bipods are un-called for.

As for the fit, Harris (and there knock-offs) attach to the front sling swivel of the rifle and then the foerend settles into a 'V' on the bipod. I have used two pair of pliers, or pliers and a vise to bend the 'V' straight for mounting onto a flat forend. Or you can go the route that Grindl did and mount a rail to attach the bipod to. This will add height, so keep that in mind.

Post some pics up of the rifle once your finished!! :thumbup:
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 265 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 12
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby 1Centurion » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:13 pm

Hey guys-

THANKS MUCH for the recommendations! I have some other UTG gear and it seems to hang in there well, but I will definitely take a look at both and post a picture when its done. Thanks again. :)
Random avatar
1Centurion

Postby 1Centurion » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Ok guys, so I looked at the bi-pods you mentioned and did some looking around and ended up buy this "UTG Super Duty Tactical Ops" bi-pod. It was very similar to the others you mentioned and ran $43.00 from Amazon. It was mounted the same as the others mentioned, on a swivel sling stud. It turned out I had misplaced the swivel for my Archangels stock and after considering it, I ended up buying the"ProMag Archangel Opfor AA9130 Forend Rail" for $16.00, also from Amazon. Here is a pic-

I went this route because I believe it will give me a much more stable mounting point for the bi-pod. Installation was a snap, took about 10 minutes.

You asked for some pics of the finished rifle, so here it is-

I went with the "Accumounts Russion PU" scope mount. I have had one before on another Mosin and found them to be well made and durable. It will accept a 1" scope tube too. I have the "original" design scope that goes with it. Both have good revues. My plan is to try using this scope for a few hunting seasons (got this two point last year with a between the antlers head shot at about 30 yards using iron sites)

I am thinking that if this scope & mount design worked so well for the Russians and the Fins, it should work well for me....

Here is a picture of the Bent Bolt I had done.

I had the work done by Max Shepherd Bolt Products- http://maxshepherdboltproducts.com/. They were very easy to deal with and had a much faster turn around than the other guy I found on the net. They got the job done in time for me to go hunting, with the other service I found taking "over a month", I never would have received it in time. They also polished up the bolt and checked it for functionality before returning it to me. Now it's so smooth, its a joy to cycle.

Finally, I used a Timney drop in trigger with a three pound pull. This trigger is wonderful and definitely contributed to getting my deer last year.

Down the road, when I get the money, I'd like to upgrade to the larger Russian PE scope.
Random avatar
1Centurion

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:51 am

Awesome. I love to see these Russian ladies out taking game. So far with mine I've killed a doe whitetail, coyote and 9 pt whitetail buck with mine.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 360 times
Kudos  Received: 272 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum