It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:42 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

Odyessy in "F" Open

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: Odyessy in "F" Open

Postby Grimstod » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:48 am

I really want to take my own rifle to an F-Class meet. Need to tune a few things first though. Looks like your on the right track. How about some pictures?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 284 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby CCA762 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Hey Guys,
We have finally gotten Gene's rifle wrapped up! Sorry it took so long had some unforeseen bumps along the way. Can't thank Gene enough for his patience with this project. Hope you enjoy it and I hope it performs well. Please send us some pictures of the finished project and especially how it performs at the range. Yáll take care.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy." Isaiah 54:16 NLT
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 32 times
Kudos  Received: 20 times

Postby CCA762 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Some more F-class pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy." Isaiah 54:16 NLT
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Postby CCA762 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Sorry if there are duplicates or some of the pictures didn't come through. Posted up what I had hopefully they all made it on the feed.
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Deathsythe311 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Sweet!! Love it.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 33 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Grimstod » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:57 am

How long is the barrel? Looks great!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 284 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby CCA762 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:06 am

Grimstod,
The barrel is a Krieger .308 bore it's O.A.L. is 26" with an 11 degree recessed target crown.
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Grindl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:42 pm

David has set the bar very high on this build with his beautiful workman-ship , and the burden is now on me do his work justice . I look at these photos and get very excited to begin the next steps of this build .Kudo's to Coyote Creek Armory and David Fair for the Beautiful work done . This action has been blue-printed , barreled , and the Bolt lapped .

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A few words about the 26" barrel length : I spent over a year doing ballistics research regarding barrel lengths , and though it has become very popular to now use 24" barrels , there are several pieces of data that has to be considered . One ; is the speed that "F" shooters are sending the round down the pipe . Many of the top "F" shooters are sending a .308 , 195gr-200gr VLD Match bullet out at 2,700fps to 3,100+ fps. Near "Max" loads . Hard on the chamber / bolt / receiver , as well as the barrel . The other is "Barrel Life". By selecting a 26" length , I will be able to reduce the FPS of the round down the bore , thus extending barrel life by 1,500 to 3,500 rounds over the normal 5,000 round barrel life . Target barrels don't "wear" out . They are "Burned" up by excessive high velocity loads and VLD bullet lengths . Friction and excessive heat are the enemies of Target barrels , but "F" shooters look at replacing a barrel several times through-out a season of competition as a normal part of the sport .

The 26" length , with a 10 twist allows me to load at the threshold of 2,700 fps and preferably below it .Well below it ... And keep the round stabilized in the trans-sonic range as the bullet slows down to nearing speed of sound . ( 1116 fps at S/L ) Ironically ; this occurs between roughly 850 to 930 yards with the normally used M/N target loads. The further the round goes , the more critical it becomes to keep the round stable , in rotation , and "on-line". Longer barrel lengths allow for lower powder weight loads ; while maintaining higher velocities without having to load towards maximums , thus reducing Heat and friction . VooDoo science. :crazy:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 190 times
Kudos  Received: 115 times
NRA Member (1)

Postby CCA762 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Grindl,
Thanks for the positive feedback. I hope all goes well with the rest of the build. Please keep us informed with how the build progresses.
CCA762
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Deathsythe311 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:13 am

What does it run to have the action blueprinted and bolt lapped and barrel installed these days?
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 33 times
Nice Build Award (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum